High Island -BTB - 11-17-07 (long version)

Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

High Island -BTB - 11-17-07 (long version)

Post by Mythman »

Left the house at 6:00 am and as I came off the Galveston causeway, FlaFish call me and tells me Derekslin is 2.2 mile East of the barricades and has been stuck there since 2:00 am. I try to call Jolly Roger but no luck.

I stop at Joe's and get in line for bait.......only two bags of frozen mullet left and no crabs to be had.......the line is buying mud minnows and finger mullet.

On the way from Joe's I get Randy and tell him about Derekslin and we are sure Jolly Roger will find him. As I pass the East entrance to "between the piers" I see a white truck with a kayak in the back so I pull over and stop. It is Fishstick and we head for the barricades. Just as I pass the barricades, I see Randy turning around and as he passes going the other way he yells, "Jolly Roger is coming back down the beach".......I look over and see the famous skull and crossbones going the other way down the beach. I turn around and as I start off...I hear someone calling my name and it is Jolly Roger standing on the dune between the road and the beach........He says"Where are ya'll going", I say "we are following you".....and that is how things started.

We get about 1/4 mile East of where TOBA Hdqts was and we decide to fish. This is what the surf looked like.

I think in my mind, "yeah, that is doable!".

Soon we are joined by Fishinfools and that makes Randy, Capt Gorton, Jolly Roger, Jan and Herb (Fishinfools), Fishstick and me. We load up and out we go........I get swamped three time getting through the surf and so does everyone else. But, you know, out past the surf, it isn't too bad.........big swells but about 6 or more seconds apart.

From the moment I anchor I start feeling queasy!!!!! As I am cutting bait and rigging up, all of a sudden I got to look up at the horizon and get my mind off of that very large lump at the top of my throat. I am think, the ham/cheese/egg croissant didn't go over too well.

Fishstick is the first to catch a bull red..........his very first from a kayak!!

Then I lose one as my 25 lb line breaks on the hookup.

Then Randy catches one and because I am now quite green I take a long range pic that doesn't really turn out.

Then me, Capt. Gorton and Jan all hook up at the same time and Randy gets all our pictures. (hope he posts them up)

I was fishing with fresh whiting and frozen mullet and they only hit the frozen mullet. I finally land another and it is my 100th bull red for the year. I am done and done!!!

Here is # 100

I start paddling toward Jan and she starts paddling toward me to get the pic and after the pic I become violently sick. I grab a mullet gallon bag, pour the mullet out and start heaving into the bag. Nothing like upchucking in a bait bag.

This was my very first time to do that but man oh man I am certified now.

I paddle in after that.

The rest stay out and I believe 3 more fish were caught.

When I get to the beach I meet Flafish and Derekslin who was never East of the Barricades but "Between the pier" stuck.

About noon everyone comes in and even in the rough surf, no one tips over.

I leave for home at 2:00 pm and don't get home until 6:00 pm.......got to love TexDot and only running two ferries on a flounder weekend.

As usual BTB today was an adventure and a great time to fish with old and new friends.
mario24

cpr

Post by mario24 »

talk about "catch and release " he Mike ? :shock:

i guess that 100th. red made you pay? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Kayak Featherlite 9.5 Mini-x Predator K140, Percption Swifty,Necky Zoar Angler

Post by Randy »

My day started when I picked up Captain Gorton, in Conroe, We chatted on the way, and I almost wrecked the truck, when he told me what his wife thought UTB,,, or BTB ment, (that is another story....}
We stopped at the bait shop in Winnie, and headed down to HI. As we turned left past the barricades, we saw this pirate flag, traveling west bound on the other side of the sand dune,,,,,,,couldn't see anything at all except this flag, "FLAPPING" in the wind, halling but......YEP, thats TJ right thar.... Did a batman turn and caught up with him at the first entrance. Our caravan followed Jolly Roger back down the beach and we got started....

Herb quickly set up his comand post, I spec, cuz he wanted to make sure you know who, (Jan) didn't mess up anything on THE aka his Kayak...
Captain Gorton, went over his gear, and we headed out..
Man, I don't know how long it was but, I was getting QUEEEZZY, and kept telling myself, this is nuts,,,, you are gonna fall out,,,,,I had a spot picked out in the front of the yak, just incase I had an involuntary, digestional discharge,,,yep I was gonna do it right there......I put my thigh straps on to help keep my balance, as them big A$$ waves rollllllllled under me........then dang,,,, a hook up, I really didn't want a fish at that moment.........but I got him in, and kept things down......
After a bit I just couldnt hang no more,,,,, I pulled anchor , thinking ok, alittle longer,,,,,,,and I will be OK,

Then Jan hooks up,,,,,,oh man, that was a long paddle,,,,,OK "I can do this,,,,,,,"
She is pulling it in and I coulda sworn, I heard something, like,, "he aint getting this yak back"
Then Captain Gorton had a hook up,,,,,,,,,come on,,,,, not now.......so I paddle over and snap a pic.....
I tried to get a pic of the CPR but I was moving kinda slow.....
AHHHHH, ok,,, I am heading in.........
Then, Myth Man hooks up number 99

Ok, now I am really going in before I puke........ok, I can make it......
Mythman, came in and he had this strange look on his face,,,,,,, yeppers,,,,,that look sais it..
"I hope no-one seen that"

Jan and Captain Gorton come in and all made it with out a flip...... "cool beans"
derek, made it and practiced his surf launch and padding technique....
He really did good for his first time out and in the big A$$ waves...

Dolphin Girl

Post by Dolphin Girl »

So did Jolly Roger catch anything? Because I won $30.80 at the dog track? :) Love ya babe! See ya Sunday!
Izzy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Izzy »

8) Allright Mythman, Congratz on accomplishing something only few can. Wow 100 bullreds in one year :shock: , Dude your a Bad Ass 8) , and I mean that with lots of respect. My personal best was last year, 52 all on surfrods. But that is small Potatoes compared to 100 by kayak. Are you sure your name is not Neptune, ruler of all Merman.......LOL :P :lol:
Captain Gorton

Post by Captain Gorton »

Dolphin Girl wrote:So did Jolly Roger catch anything? Because I won $30.80 at the dog track? :) Love ya babe! See ya Sunday!
I got the proof right here ...

The line up

I got a couple of Randy from a distance. I should have paddled closer as he did for me.

Look at that wave and white caps comming for ya...

Fish Sticks fightin his 3rd or 4th biggun

Man this trip was a blast!!! After quite a few offshore trips I'll be the first to admit that I felt the queasiest on this one. But...the fish catching part made it well worth it. What a great group of folks here. They let me tag a long, showed me the ropes and I loved every second of it. Thanks all for the advice and for making my first official BTB trip a major success. Randy even chauffeured me down to the water, lent me a kayak w/ tackle, and even let me chum the waters with his drybox hatch (which still resides at the bottom of the gulf) without out saying a word. Again, what a great group of folks.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Nice reports and photos. At least the rain held off and didn't spoil your day.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mythman »

Dolphin Girl wrote:So did Jolly Roger catch anything? Because I won $30.80 at the dog track? :) Love ya babe! See ya Sunday!

Frankly, he was expecting you to win more..........he is wanting this new dry suit...........$596!!

But the $30 might buy beer (or donuts) for Dec. the 8th!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
chazbo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by chazbo »

Congrats on #100! That really is quite a feat. Is that your personal best for a year?
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mythman »

chazbo wrote:Congrats on #100! That really is quite a feat. Is that your personal best for a year?
Absolutely my personal best........I have only been BTB fishing for 1 1/2 years and last year I didn't even come close to half that many.........I caught a whole lot of gafftop, though.

This year I only had 4 bull reds until 8/25/07 and the other 96 came from then to now.........WOW, what a testament to catching Bull Reds at High Island.........but, you should know "Mr. 27 in one day"!!!! :lol: :lol:
Mitchw123456
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Mitchw123456 »

congrats on the 100 Mike, wish I would've been able to make it. Its begining to look liek I may need my yak to get home from work though... :?
Big Perm
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Big Perm »

so mike did you ever determine what got you sick???
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mythman »

Big Perm wrote:so mike did you ever determine what got you sick???
I believe it was those 4-5 ft rolling swells.......what else......3 out of 5 of us turned green, but I am the only one up chucking.......boy it hit me like a freight train.

That was my very first time to throw up at sea, but it was a masterpiece.
Mitchw123456
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Mitchw123456 »

. I grab a mullet gallon bag, pour the mullet out and start heaving into the bag. Nothing like upchucking in a bait bag.
all that water around you and you couldn't hit it? :lol:
TruckerYakker

Post by TruckerYakker »

congratulations on #100 mythman!! 8)
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

Mythman wrote:
Big Perm wrote:so mike did you ever determine what got you sick???
I believe it was those 4-5 ft rolling swells.......what else......3 out of 5 of us turned green, but I am the only one up chucking.......boy it hit me like a freight train.

That was my very first time to throw up at sea, but it was a masterpiece.

I can vividly remember Mike leaning against his truck after a long day at HI (couple months ago) with that confident look on his face proudly proclaiming "I never get seasick .. never" :P :P
With all the time that he has spent on the water this year .. It was bound to happen .. the hard part NOW is to not think about it every time you're out there in rough water ..... you're not a virgin anymore :lol: :lol:
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

TD wrote:
I can vividly remember Mike leaning against his truck after a long day at HI (couple months ago) with that confident look on his face proudly proclaiming "I never get seasick .. never" :P :P
There's always got to be someone who not only remembers, but reminds you. :evil:

Believe me, after what Mike felt like that day, he didn't need the reminder.
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

bigfost wrote:There's always got to be someone who not only remembers, but reminds you. :evil:

Believe me, after what Mike felt like that day, he didn't need the reminder.
:shock: :lol:
And I'm sure that no one would have razzed him that day, including me .... gotta believe that his sence of humar has returned to his normally jolly self by now though 8)
Anyone that thinks it is shameful (or whatever) to get seasick has a sad day just waiting for them right around the corner. I personally have been violently sick more times than I like to remember so to me it is much easier to aproche it with a little humor .. I hope and think that Mike understands where I personally am coming from.
TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by TexaRican »

"I can vividly remember Mike leaning against his truck after a long day at HI (couple months ago) with that confident look on his face proudly proclaiming "I never get seasick .. never" :P :P
With all the time that he has spent on the water this year .. It was bound to happen .. the hard part NOW is to not think about it every time you're out there in rough water ..... you're not a virgin anymore :lol: :lol"

:) :) I remember that conversation. It was my first time BTB, the day TD got his hand shark bit and I turtled twice, then chummed my lungs out. I was still green on the beach and was privately a little miffed at hearing someone say "I NEVER get seasick" :D Guess it happens to the best of em :D
derekslin

Post by derekslin »

I got home around 11pm last night and I was so tired from my first BTB trip.
So many things happened to me on this trip: friend ditched me last minute, van stuck in sand overnight, late for the meeting, missed my chance to catch my 2nd bull red.
So many good things happened to me on this trip: meet up many friendly people Mike, Randy, Capt Gorton, Jolly Roger, Jan, Herb, and others I don't remember their names.. , learn how to kayak on BTB, learn how to paddle for the very first time, how to properly set up my kayak, learn how to enter and exit the breakers......etc I learn so much in one afternoon and this is the experinece you can't learn from books.
I am defintely going back again soon.

Thank you for all your help, especially Randy let me borrow his crate and JR set up my rod for me, and others.

Derek
dancingwithbulls
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by dancingwithbulls »

Congratulations guys and gals for a good day on the water in bad conditions!. Mike, sorry to hear about your getting green, i'm due for one in the future too. I'm going to get back out there with you guys soon enough.
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Kayak Featherlite 9.5 Mini-x Predator K140, Percption Swifty,Necky Zoar Angler

Post by Randy »

Derek,
You are more than welcome from all of us,,,,,,,,,,,,
Hope to see ta down there again.....
Randy
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Forever Fishing »

I just love reading these reports. I can't always make the tirp with you guys but I do read these reports which is the next best thing.

100 Bulls in one year is an awsome accomplishment. Congratulations Mike the Mythman!

You first timers are going to be thinking about this weekend for months. Hope you enjoy the addiction and don't lose to much sleep over it.

Randy. You are one of the only other guys I know that enjoys the salt and the fresh as much as I do. Can't wait to hook up with you in the fresh and let's do the salt again soon.

Jolly Roger I always enjoy your reports and your wealth of knowledge.

FishinFools - you two always add so much to any tirp! I don't know the story of only one Yak but I can't wait to hear the details. Nice catches both of you.

I gotta go start cooking for the party tonight but I'll check back with you people later. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

Great report gang...wish I could have joined you.

Mike turning green....I think if you upgrade the yellow x-factor to a Green one then you don't get noticed if you turn green. Active camo!

Thanks for posting up, need to get out there myself, but the rest of the year looks UGLY! Almost as ugly as those waves.

WM
isubarui
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by isubarui »

Great pictures and a great reports as always. I think I will keep my BTB fishing as a summer time activity.