Anyone ever BTB fished at night?

BeachAggie

Anyone ever BTB fished at night?

Post by BeachAggie »

Has anyone ever tried BTB fishing at night? To me it sounds a little dangerous but if you have a lot of experiance I guess you could.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

I have lots of experience and I wouldn't and won't!!!
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

No thanks. I can catch all the fish I want in the daylight. Plus it's just more fun to see what's going on.
smellyhands
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by smellyhands »

Nope, and I've never played golf during during an artillery attack or used a band saw while blind folded!
rod dawg
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by rod dawg »

Only when I'm dreaming........... :lol:
Tyak
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Tyak »

I wouldn't do it!!!

We got to the beach about an hour before dark Friday night and SOMEONE :roll: was twisting my arm to hurry up and get on the water. We fished until the sky was barely blue with a nice orange tint and we had to head in.

Too much can go wrong while fishing BTB, especially at night.

It would be an aweful lonely feeling out there at night if you fell out of the yak or tumped in the dark!!! :shock:

Ty
rsieminski

Post by rsieminski »

I regularly Yak shark baits out BTB at night, but with a stripped down Yak with small waves. Yak, paddle, PFD, Seat, and baited hook is all I take, and it was way spooky the 1st couple of times i did it.
playsitright

Post by playsitright »

artofficial wrote: .

It would be an aweful lonely feeling out there at night if you fell out of the yak or tumped in the dark!!! :shock:

Ty
man that aint no lie that would suck
Tyak
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Tyak »

It was really too dark to be out in this photo from Friday evening!!

We left them biting...

Ty
Izzy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Izzy »

artofficial wrote:It was really too dark to be out in this photo from Friday evening!!

We left them biting...

Ty
Nice Pic. 8) I once paddled acrossed Jones Bay from Highland Bayou to Tiki Island in the Dark with Silverking. Man was that fun and nerve racking at the same time, we had no Navigation lights and we're worried about all the speeding Power Boaters we saw. I think the Reflective Tape really help out that night as we almost had a close call. The freaky thing was that the majority of the water was 3.5ft, but the vast distance gave you a feeling of urgency. Needless to say we paddled our Azzez off. We got a good little scare running a ground on a Rock Shoal in the middle out of no where. The Rockered Kayak wanted to fall to one side in a Moments notice as we ran aground. I guess that is what we get for pottlicking the lights at Tiki Island. :lol:
TexasSurfFisherman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TexasSurfFisherman »

All the time when sharking I am yakking big baits out 400 yards + We have radio contact and beacon lights strapped to PFD. What really is a trip is riding a wave runner at night with no lights.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

BTB fishing at night is dangerous. Like others have said, too many things can go wrong. Too risky.......and large pelagic sharks (Mako) come closer to the beach during the night.
Carver
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Carver »

Everyone has covered the obvious hazards and I agree with the numerous safety concerns.

Also, paddling in the dark without seeing the swells before they hit you significantly diminishes the comfort level if you are in them very long. Paddling at night is much more labor to me.

The next concern is if you DO fish at night from a yak, BTB or elsewhere, ( I have been in freshwater 90% of this last year) the actual fishing diminishes in value if you are not fully rigged for night fishing. I get on the water 2 or more hours before sun-up several times a week, at least 6 months a year. I do dusk to dawn a dozen or so times during spring and early summer. I use three 7 amp batteries at night. One for electronics, one for nav lights and one for fishing and utility lights. I have never made a full night where everything went as planned.

In my freshwater world: This does not take into account how many *&*#% water snakes will come aboard to see what you are doing. The better your lighting the more visitors. This is where you get to practice the “modified stationary panic” Patrick McManus so accurately defined. I can only imagine the BTB environment is going to add its own possibly more interesting quirks.

I would have to have trusted company and a good experienced safety crew to go BTB. As long it is just a sport, it is not worth it to me. There is way too much fun to be had safely.
Last edited by Carver on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

Actually this would be a good outing given calm conditions and the right group of people. You would just have to take extra precautions and be more conservative when on the water. Pick the right day and location. Also, I wouldn't recommend Shark fishing at night; having a Shark tow you around and leadering it at night would not be safe. Bull Reds and Black Drum would be the way to go.

Recommend the following: Same principles as Scuba Diving at night.
Glow in the dark compass or one with a light.
Light marker on the beach where you launch.
Light on your kayak.
Cyalume stick on your PFD
Cyalume stick on your paddle???, even if leashed.
Backup waterproof flashlight.
Go with an experienced group.
Go to an area you are already familiar with.
Stay close to shore and to your group.

I'm game if anyone wants to go. Apfel Park would be a good place. Things to watch out for would be wakes, boats, and current. The light show would be the best part!
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

I had heard of people putting those battery powered lights inside the hatch of the yak. The whole yak would glow then....kinda a cool idea.

But I'm not sure about fishing at night. Seems a bit out there for me. Moon would have to be full and the water like glass for me to even consider it.

WM
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Forever Fishing »

I'll go with ya Crazy Yak. That sounds like a great adventure! I've fished at night many times from piers, docks and boats. With the proper gear it can be very productive and lot's of fun. Never have tried it from a Yak but I'm up for it!
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

I have fished at night 5-6 times but it was always in the bay system and most times at Mosquito Island/TCD area.

I would never fish the HSC at night.......heck it is has more than enough factors to deal with during the day.

The only time I would even consider fishing at night, in deep waters, would be under a full moon with slick waters and a group of seasoned BTB fishermen. Even then I think I would need my head examined.
YaknYota
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Licensed River Guide, Floating the Middle/Upper Brazos River since 1989

Post by YaknYota »

Black lights are perfect for this type of fishing. I mount 1 or 2 12 volt LED blacklights to upright 2" dia pvc on the milk crate behind me in my ok scrambler xt. Battery goes in the tankwell behind the seat. Blacklights will not attract bugs, penetrate surface of the water, illuminates fluorescent line to make it look like a lazer beam and helps with depth perception. Low voltage draw is another advantage.