HI BTB Sat Oct 06 07

MikeSSS

HI BTB Sat Oct 06 07

Post by MikeSSS »

Drove 300+ mi to HI, brought everything. My paddle stayed home. Bad paddle, bad.

Saw Markm1010 about 7 am, he was going out, went to Port Arthur Acacemy and got a paddle.

There was a huge Ford 4x4 with big tires stuck, back axle submerged in sand...I'm driving a Camry...hmmmm.

Back at HI Markm1010 and SmileDoc were out, met Volyak and we went out too. The surf turned out to be a lot of the fun, it was great.

The Bull Reds were biting, sort of. Volyak had them click out line but not hook up. Two did hook up for me, the new 7' Tiger Medium and Daiwa Sealine X50SHA did great. First fish the hook didn't penetrate through but the flex of the Medium Tiger kept tension on it and landed it.

Markm1010 and SmileDoc were catching more than Volyak and I were, both of us got stomach trouble out there and called it a day early. Funnything, there is no stomach trouble when a fish is on.

Here's some pics:

Before

Fishing

SmileDoc

Got one, both BR's gave a nice Sleigh Ride (caps where appropriate)

Volyak

SmileDoc 2 and Markm1010...can you see him?

Another fine day BTB. Next time I'm going to take Dramamine or Shiner Bock or something.
DelSol
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by DelSol »

Nice pics and catch!
Give that paddle a whoopin when you get home :wink:

What was the bait?
MikeSSS

Post by MikeSSS »

Bait was half mullets. Both fish were caught with heads.

Got 11" frozen mullets from Joe's Crabs in Port Bolivar. The bait place in Winnie had frozen mullet too.

Fresh would be better but chasing a new paddle used up the cast net time. Besides I can't cast net worth a darn, it's hard to concentrate when your tail is wagging so much.

Volyak cast netted at Rollover Pass the night before so he had fresh mullet. I spent the night at Rollover Pass but didn't see anybody catch anything.

The new paddle is a 230 cm, it replaces a 220 that will live in the hull from now on. Size matters.

Mike S
slcooper

Post by slcooper »

Great pics Mike! I'm glad you had fun, sucks about your paddle, hapens to us all sooner or later.
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Kayak Featherlite 9.5 Mini-x Predator K140, Percption Swifty,Necky Zoar Angler

Post by Randy »

OMG, you now have an extra paddle,,,,,,,,,
MikeSSS, I can still see the look on your face and hear your words.....
"How do you think of anything else" I think that was from your first trip down,,,,,,,,Way to go,,,,,,,,, FISH _ ON !!!!
volyak

Post by volyak »

MikeSSS, I'll try to get pics posted that I took of you and your 2nd red. Arnulfo emailed how to do it. I've been busy today so haven't had a chance to do it. Now it's bed time.

It was great getting to me you. Next time seas are more than calm< i hope I'll remember the Dramamine.

I got to HI before sun up and saw the surf and went to Rollover to fish the bay. Got between Rollover and the spoil islands and there were mullet everywhere. So I set about catching mullet with my cast net figuring I would try BTB later in the day thinking the waves would settle down. I also caught one trout on plastic. It was right at 15" so was released.

Then I headed back to the beach about 10ish. Met up with MikeSSS and headed out. MikeSSS picks up the rest of the story above.

After getting back to the beach to settle my stomach, I headed over to Port Bolivar to fish around there. Didn't catch anything, but it was a beautiful afternoon on the water.