Pentax Optio W30...very disapointing...

MikeSSS

Pentax Optio W30...very disapointing...

Post by MikeSSS »

Got a W30 from B&H in record time, good.

It shoots movies, 640x480 at 30fps till the up to 4 Gig SD card is full...but they are in .MOV format. My Windows has problems and won't play .MOV because QuickTime won't work. Rats.

BTB today, Saturday Oct. 06, the LCD was sooo dim that the camera was just about unusable.

The W30 failed on image number 50 (total) the 26th image on today's trip. The sensor is no longer recording images.

Mode selection is very difficult, there are icons for the different modes but before you can examine even one a pop up covers the screen so you can't see what modes are available.

Anybody have a 770SW or 790SW, can you see the LCD screen on those when on the water?
jameyj

Re: Pentax Optio W30...very disapointing...

Post by jameyj »

MikeSSS wrote:Got a W30 from B&H in record time, good.

It shoots movies, 640x480 at 30fps till the up to 4 Gig SD card is full...but they are in .MOV format. My Windows has problems and won't play .MOV because QuickTime won't work. Rats.

BTB today, Saturday Oct. 06, the LCD was sooo dim that the camera was just about unusable.

The W30 failed on image number 50 (total) the 26th image on today's trip. The sensor is no longer recording images.

Mode selection is very difficult, there are icons for the different modes but before you can examine even one a pop up covers the screen so you can't see what modes are available.

Anybody have a 770SW or 790SW, can you see the LCD screen on those when on the water?
Just got a 790SW yesterday and the LCD can be seen pretty well in the bright sun (my 760 which has a LCD not as nice as the 790SW can be seen pretty easy as well). I have not tried it on the water yet but should be fine. A lot of folks on the forum have the 770SW and have not heard any of the complaining about the screen. I am sure they will post up and let you know.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Do they have a good return policy?
NaplesJohn
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by NaplesJohn »

Just bought a Olympus 790SW yesterday. It will hopefully be getting a workout all starting this afternoon, and through fishing Mon-Wed down in SPI. I'll post up impressions then.
jameyj

Post by jameyj »

NaplesJohn wrote:Just bought a Olympus 790SW yesterday. It will hopefully be getting a workout all starting this afternoon, and through fishing Mon-Wed down in SPI. I'll post up impressions then.
What color did you get?