Ship channel for reds?

smellyhands
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Ship channel for reds?

Post by smellyhands »

Was wondering if the houston ship channel near east beach is any good for bull reds. Would be MUCH closer for me.
Jolly Roger
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Ship channel for reds?

Post by Jolly Roger »

smellyhands wrote:Was wondering if the houston ship channel near east beach is any good for bull reds. Would be MUCH closer for me.

Yes, and good for big uglys in a few months.

Lot of things to watch out for, always fish with a friend in that area. If the current is bad, do not go out and fish.
playsitright

Post by playsitright »

no to hijack your thread but what about clear lake in the bay under the bridge? thats close to me
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Smellyhands,

This weekend there is a strong ebb tide on the HSC each day about 12:00 pm.

Do not fish alone and watch your anchor buoy......it starts going under water get back to the shallows.
dancingwithbulls
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by dancingwithbulls »

That place is very fun to catch reds and BU's. Like the others have said, it has its own perils that are different from fishing off the beach. Keep an eye out for workboats as they will kick up some nice and high rollers, sometimes breakers. Me and Mythman had some scary times out there when that current really gets ripping, definately take his advice on the anchor bouy going under. I'll probably fishing it more in the next couple of months when it cools off a bit.
smellyhands
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by smellyhands »

Cool, glad to hear it. And thank you for the warning. I fished there a couple of times for specks when I first got the yak and had good luck but remember the tide being nasty at times. I'm game for that spot in the near future if anyone wants to go. I hope to see some of you at HI on Sunday.