BTB LEADERS

Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Re: BTB LEADERS

Post by Mythman »

BigSerg10 wrote:What kind of crimpers should I look for for making shark leaders any help pls

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=fis ... ORM=IQFRBA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BigSerg10

Post by BigSerg10 »

Thanks mythman what size u recommend
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

BigSerg10 wrote:What kind of crimpers should I look for for making shark leaders any help pls
The chipo red-handle crimpers from Academy work just fine, believe they are around $8.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

BigSerg10 wrote:Thanks mythman what size u recommend
8-10 inch
kayaktx7
Location: NW Houston, TX Cypress Ride: 2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14 & Perception 12

Post by kayaktx7 »

Awesome tips thanks a lot for all the info. looking forward to meet any of you guys soon.
ntsharker

Post by ntsharker »

does anyone have a picture of a king fish leader with the three hooks? I am confused on how to make that. Also what size wire would be used to make that? Would you tie the cable leader straight to your mainline or have a mono shockleader first?
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

nigeltoudouze43 wrote:does anyone have a picture of a king fish leader with the three hooks? I am confused on how to make that. Also what size wire would be used to make that? Would you tie the cable leader straight to your mainline or have a mono shockleader first?
The answer to your question is listed at the top of this sticky. Just add a wire sections as you need them.
Volkswatson

Post by Volkswatson »

Was prepping for summer, & realized prof salt's king rig video would be great for this sticky:

Tight lines y'all

-VW
Harold Ray
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Harold Ray »

Thanks for posting all the information on building leaders, everyone!!! I plan to build some over the next few weeks, and all of this will help a lot. I have bought in the past but want to do some of my own. Is there any more information that you all have decided needs to go in here since the last posts? I need all of the help I can get!!

Thanks!!

Ray
TexasToast

Post by TexasToast »

This is my BTB Shark Leader
1) 15/0 Mustad circle Hook
2) Multi Strand Stainless Steel Cable about 250lb test
Attachments
BTB Shark Leader.jpg
kyleisMRsmiley

Post by kyleisMRsmiley »

TexasToast wrote:This is my BTB Shark Leader
What do you put on the snap swivel part that slides?
TexasToast

Post by TexasToast »

kyleisMRsmiley wrote:
TexasToast wrote:This is my BTB Shark Leader
What do you put on the snap swivel part that slides?
I use this one with a pyramid weight
saltkat

Post by saltkat »

thanks!
Fish soup

Post by Fish soup »

Great info on leaders! I need to get on the board more than once every three years.
YAKA77ACK

Post by YAKA77ACK »

Volkswatson wrote:Was prepping for summer, & realized prof salt's king rig video would be great for this sticky:

Tight lines y'all

-VW
AWESOME VIDEO!! Got me motivated to make my own! Thanks for sharing!
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

Good ideas on kingfish leaders from others here on TKF and also other great info on targeting kings:

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 8&t=214320" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
capt.morgan

Post by capt.morgan »

Thank you to the original poster, circa 2007. Using the examples shown and the following tutorial, http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 8&t=167642 I feel like a pro 'leader maker'. Again, thank you!
tiggere

Post by tiggere »

Not to be picky or anything but Prof Salt's video above is not the proper way to tie a haywire twist as one should finish the twist with a barrel wrap and then break the wire off by twisting it back on itself...if you cut it like was shown you leave a razor sharp edge on the wire that can slice the dickens out of you...also the haywire twist from leader to leader need to run through each other and the eye of the hook...the hook eye is not what should be joining the two wires together...

Just my 2 cents...so take it for what it's worth...
APynckel

Post by APynckel »

Hey Crazy Yak, do you sell these, and are you going to be joining us on the bob hall pier event this sunday? If so, I may be interested in a couple of the king / smack leaders if you could bring them with ya. I know it's late notice, but I could use some quality leaders for the event.

Thanks!
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

APynckel wrote:Hey Crazy Yak, do you sell these, and are you going to be joining us on the bob hall pier event this sunday? If so, I may be interested in a couple of the king / smack leaders if you could bring them with ya. I know it's late notice, but I could use some quality leaders for the event.

Thanks!
No, but fortunately they are easily made with materials sourced locally (Academy, FTU, Bass Pro). Go get your materials and start twisting! There are many Youtube videos out there to help also. I'm getting ready for a Florida trip and will not be able to fish with you guys. See everyone at the BWC in Corpus!
Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

This is probably the single most useful thread I've seen on TKF in my nearly 10 years here. I'm planning to kayak fish off the beach (I've always found "Beyond the Breakers" to sound Rambo-cheesy so I don't use it) and looking for some suggestions for leaders, hoped to find a decent thread with one or two text-based descriptions, this thread is way more than I hoped for, perfect info, lots of options, and great photos.
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

I will update the King leaders before BWC.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

One additional point: Pay attention to how you twist the wire ends together. You don't have to be perfect but laying the wraps down in a smooth, consistent fashion will make connections stronger. (Think of how a coat hanger looks at the point where the two ends wrap around each other. The spiral warps are symmetrical.) This is especially true after you've made several leaders (it's easy to get a little sloppy after twisting dozens of wires together....so take a break if you need to).
Coat Hanger (2).jpg
Coat Hanger (2).jpg (29.14 KiB) Viewed 55787 times
spoon

Post by spoon »

any ideas on where you can buy the three hook kingfish leaders? I went to Academy and found zero.. since im living out of a 10 x 10 mother in law room at the moment, I really don't have my tools to make my own... just curious....
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by SAHunter1983 »

You dont have hands and pliers? You will spend 3× as much on king leaders from Bass Pro...