BTB LEADERS

Mitchw123456
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Mitchw123456 »

ill explain it later when I get to work around noon today.. heres another vid I did awhile back showing how to do it

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=6u90div&s=1
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

The braid loop looks like a great alternative to crimps, thanks for the tip Mitch!

Some people use shrink wrap to cover the crimp, this would probably work to cover the braid loop also. Just make sure you rinse your leader well since saltwater can becoming trapped under the shrink wrap and continue to corrode your leader.
Fla-Fish
TKF 8000 Club
TKF 8000 Club

Post by Fla-Fish »

Cool Beans thanks Mitch. 8)
Mitchw123456
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Mitchw123456 »

Alright, basically all you do is seperate your 7 strand wire. When seperated you will have 4 strands on one side and 3 on the other, keep in mind these seperate strands will be made up of smaller strands of 7 (hence 7x7 wire or 49 strands.) After seperating the two strands slide your hook/swivel onto one of the strands and take that strand and place it at the "Y" of the seperate strands. This is the important part. When you begin wrapping the other strand it MUST line back up with the old "swirl" of the other side cable. It will fall into place very easily and when done wrapping it will look identical to the cable before you split it if done correctly. Steve is right, you can shrink wrap it if you want to but it will hold moisture. If you use the liquid electrical tape on the "Y" section of the loop it will completely smooth everything down and will be water tight. It does take a little practice to not have any wire sticking out at the "y" but the main trick to getting a perfect ending is using very high quality wire cutters. My are wore out and don't cut 100% cleanly so its a little harder to make them perfect. Honestly, the loop won't come undone if you do not place anything over it I just prefer the liquid tape. Plain electrical tape will work also but will not last as long as the liquid tape. Let me know if I'm not making sense, this is much MUCH easier to show than explain!

4 down 12 hours to go.. come on 5am :lol:
PortHoleDiver

Post by PortHoleDiver »

Now that is just 2 cool. Thanks, the video helped a lot. Will have to give this a try! 8)
Shellhammer

Post by Shellhammer »

Thanks guys, going to have to give this a try! :D :D :D
double dip
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by double dip »

I have another question. When using mono and crimping sleeves, is there a "good" or "bad" way to crimp the sleeves. Specifically, is there a way to crimp too hard and cut the mono? Can you put too much of a crimp in the sleeves? And how do you know when and keep from doing that. Any techniques?

Thanks
Mitchw123456
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Mitchw123456 »

double dip wrote:I have another question. When using mono and crimping sleeves, is there a "good" or "bad" way to crimp the sleeves. Specifically, is there a way to crimp too hard and cut the mono? Can you put too much of a crimp in the sleeves? And how do you know when and keep from doing that. Any techniques?

Thanks
Yes you can crimp mono too much and weaken it. Another mistake I've seen people make is they crimp the very end of the sleeve which makes the sleeve roll up on the end and will cut into mono. If on the rare occasion I decide to crimp mono I always just crimp it dead center of the sleeve and not get too supermany about the crimp. Test, test, and test it again. Another good little trick for those who crimp mono is to burn the tag end off just a little past the crimp, this will make a lump of burnt mono that will not be able to be pulled back through the crimp if it were to slip. Personally though I tied probably 80% of all my mono connections up to 500# as I just prefer to. The knots are bigger and bulkier but just as strong or stronger than a crimp.
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

double dip wrote:I have another question. When using mono and crimping sleeves, is there a "good" or "bad" way to crimp the sleeves. Specifically, is there a way to crimp too hard and cut the mono? Can you put too much of a crimp in the sleeves? And how do you know when and keep from doing that. Any techniques?

Thanks
Here to go.

http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniq ... iques.html
double dip
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by double dip »

Thanks to both . Good info and site. Figured there was the "right" way to do it.
mikelcctx

info

Post by mikelcctx »

Great information everyone. Thanks. :D :D
diaz

thanks

Post by diaz »

thanks for the info. :lol:
SMOjustice

Post by SMOjustice »

Great info for a new guy. I wonder? Why make the leader when it's so much ceaper to buy? :? :?
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

SMOjustice wrote:Great info for a new guy. I wonder? Why make the leader when it's so much ceaper to buy? :? :?
So it's done right and customized to your needs.
rico1855

WOw

Post by rico1855 »

I would like to express my appreciation for this post. For a guy that new absolutly nothing about salt water fishing a year ago, posts like this have helped me out tremendously! Thank you and keep 'em coming.
nhra22

Re: BTB LEADERS

Post by nhra22 »

These leader designs are OK at best. I like my leaders to last a little while. I skip the mono. Plus I hate crimping mono.

And shark leaders made from mono?? No thanks.
length
Location: Opinions are like rear ends every one has one and they all stink from time to time!

Post by length »

Another reason to make your own is that you can reuse them. just ad another hook after it is cut off during release.
nhra22

Post by nhra22 »

I get my hooks back from sharks. No need for cutting.
rod dawg
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by rod dawg »

nhra22 wrote:I get my hooks back from sharks. No need for cutting.
How are you getting your hooks back from larger sharks?
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

You can't argue with the results people are having with 400lb mono. With circle hooks, a breakoff due to a line cut is slim. Rod Dawg had a great idea to switch over.
Facehook

Re:

Post by Facehook »

SMOjustice wrote:Great info for a new guy. I wonder? Why make the leader when it's so much ceaper to buy? :? :?
I priced out the materials at the start and it turned out to be much cheaper in the long run when making your own leaders.
Fla-Fish
TKF 8000 Club
TKF 8000 Club

Post by Fla-Fish »

Crazy Yak wrote:You can't argue with the results people are having with 400lb mono. With circle hooks, a breakoff due to a line cut is slim. Rod Dawg had a great idea to switch over.

TTT

I have been using Mono all along.
If a shark cuts 3-400lb mono I don't want to catch it.
Too much work. I would rather catch a bunch of smaller 4-5' ones. :roll: :lol: :lol:

ps: Thanks again to Crazy Yak for the leader pic's.
Had to refresh my memory on Kingfish leaders. :oops:
gatorlane77

Post by gatorlane77 »

Crazy Yak,

First, thank you tons for the examples. Very helpful.

One question...what kind of leader are you using? I have the Ande 200# mono leader and can BARELY squeeze it into the 1.6 sleeves. It took me forever to make one leader because the mono would not fit into the sleeve. Are you using a different brand that fits easier into the sleeves or do I need to buy larger sleeves?

Thanks for your help.
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

gatorlane77 wrote:Crazy Yak,

First, thank you tons for the examples. Very helpful.

One question...what kind of leader are you using? I have the Ande 200# mono leader and can BARELY squeeze it into the 1.6 sleeves. It took me forever to make one leader because the mono would not fit into the sleeve. Are you using a different brand that fits easier into the sleeves or do I need to buy larger sleeves?

Thanks for your help.
Sometimes you have to expand the sleeves with your crimper, you can also use an ice pick to expand the sleeve. Different brands of leader material have different diameters.
gatorlane77

Post by gatorlane77 »

Thank you sir. I will try that....or a nail.