Report 7/3

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Report 7/3

Post by Prof. Salt »

I paddled to the Mayan Princess rigs at first light and although the surf and wind were nice, swells were considerable. Water around the rigs had probably five feet of visibility. I found a cobia at the first rig, but after a good jumping show the angry fish was able to break me off (I’m guessing he got to the rig leg). I also lost a kingfish that had eaten at the same time as the cobia and it figured out how to come unbuttoned while I was busy with the other rod. At Wally I found a single small group of snapper and my first jig bounce off the bottom got slammed. I’d get the fish up about ten feet before it would run back to the bottom. This went on for a couple of minutes before the hooks pulled out of the fish. After that I could not relocate the group of fish I was interested in so I headed North to the “plus” rig. It had only baitfish, so I headed offshore to the deep rigs. I managed a small king and lost a big one right at the kayak, but it was due to be released anyway so not a problem. On my way in I stopped at the first rig again and hooked a huge Spanish on the little spinning rod. Near the boat he tangled with another line, and as I was trying to untangle the mess, the fish managed to get a loop of line at a bad place on the rod and ran hard, snapping my new spinning rod on its first trip out, lol. I guess it’s a good thing it was a cheap $39 rod.

There were several weedlines beyond the MP rigs, but they were loosely put together and presented problems for trolling. There were flying fish around the weed, and I saw a few small amberjacks too, but no mahi-mahi or cobia. I got back to the truck with one fish in the hold and 18 miles paddled ...so I did the normal thing and after cleaning up the kayak headed back out to ride the surf. It was running 2.6 feet, so I put myself into tough positions on purpose to see if I could handle it. On the third bar I caught a big wave just as it crested, and the nose dug and pushed the boat sideways just as the wave rolled over my head. I stayed calm and rode it out, and was surprised just how stable the hull remained. After a while I was feeling the call to lunch so I headed for home.

Basically the fish should be thick at this point but for whatever reason kayaks and boats alike were struggling to hook fish all morning. I enjoyed the conditions and managed to stay on cruise control while paddling (resisting the urge to push faster) and I felt good considering how much paddling had been done.
impulse

Re: Report 7/3

Post by impulse »

How far offshore are the rigs?
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

The closest is about 2 miles, and the next three stagger 1/2 mile or less apart. The one to the North is about half a mile from this set, and the offshore ones are another 2.5 and 3 miles out. Then you figure in all the paddling done around the rigs to look for fish and the miles begin to add up.
impulse

Post by impulse »

Good info, thanks!

Still beats the beejeezus out of the nearest rigs to Galveston at 7-7.5 miles (launching near GSP or Jamaica Beach). It's a shame, because the rigs off Galveston are fun to fish. Just too far for an old fart in a kayak. At least this old fart. Too much can go wrong that far offshore in a kayak. At my comfortable pace, that's about 5-6 hours of paddling just to get out and back.

I'd gladly paddle 2-5 miles out (and have, just trolling around off the Sea Isle beach on calm days). But that hasn't put me on the kingfish.
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

Thanks for the update Prof. I was not able to make this window. Hope to hit the next one!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Great report Glenn! Sometimes getting the right bite at the wrong time or place can be frustrating. I usually drop lines around a rig to find snapper but they are usually too small at the rigs. Better snappers further out around reef or structures deep.
I gotta get out and catch up with you sometime! Enjoy the fishing and paddling and be safe and happy! :clap: