Freeport July 3rd

A6C5O7

Freeport July 3rd

Post by A6C5O7 »

Trying to make it out to the banks and Vancouver July 3rd. Friday seems to be calm winds but Saturday has some weather rolling in. Not sure if anyone else eye that same day?
Yakety_Yak

Re: Freeport July 3rd

Post by Yakety_Yak »

A6C5O7 wrote:Trying to make it out to the banks and Vancouver July 3rd. Friday seems to be calm winds but Saturday has some weather rolling in. Not sure if anyone else eye that same day?
Not to put a damper on things but from my account, my forecast says that the surf is 2 - 3 ft on Friday with 3 ft swells (intervals 6 secs) and winds are in the single digits. Saturday is averaging 3 - 4 ft surf with 4.5 swells every 6 secs with winds averaging 15 mph and rising through the day. You want to go to the ship wreck from Bryan Beach (assuming you are launching there and not the jetties because it's much closer) and that is approximately 6.5 miles out or the banks reef which 8 miles out. This is very unsafe! I've done this run in a kayak and in a TI. Each time has been with an experienced group.

Conditions all the way around are definitely not good for this day and more than likely an inexperienced kayaker will want to go and that is a recipe for potential issues. When I did this trip in years past, I would not post it to avoid new comers going due to the level of experience needed for this trip. I would call a few buddies I knew that are extremely experienced and if we got a good group together, we would make that run.

My suggestion would be to wait for a better weekend and do the Bob Hall Pier rig run in Corpus. The rig is a little over a mile out and the fishing is much better. There are a few more reasons why going to the ship wreck and the reef are not good but let's just narrow it down to safety.

If you would like to know more on the Bob Hall Pier rig thing, feel free to give me a call. I'm happy to help. 832-588-7091