Spearfishing the rigs?

A6C5O7

Spearfishing the rigs?

Post by A6C5O7 »

I'm certain someone has asked this in the past but here goes nothing. Are there any rigs near shore that would offer good water clarity for spearfishing? I haven't fished any of the rigs yet so I'm not sure what water clarity looks like. I have family based in south Houston so anywhere near there is my ideal area.

Thank you for any help you may provide!
Yakety_Yak

Re: Spearfishing the rigs?

Post by Yakety_Yak »

All the rigs are around 7 - 9 miles out in the Galveston region. The surfside rig is 5 miles out. That rig is not very good in regards to visibility. If you want visibility and to keep it close to shore, you will want to hit the Bob Hall Pier rig. You can Google Bob Hall Pier in Corpus Christi, Texas and there should be a ton of information. The rig is around a mile offshore from the pier. If you don't mind the drive, I think that will be more toward your liking.
Squidward

Post by Squidward »

The further south you go along the coast the better the clarity will get but that doesn't mean Bob Hall will always be nice to dive. Its pretty common to have 5 foot of visibility at BH so you really cant see far past your spear tip. But, depending on current we do get some blue water at times and you can have 20 foot of visibility. It can change from weekend to weekend but you will have a lot better luck with the rigs down in Corpus compared to Galveston.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

Yakety_Yak wrote:All the rigs are around 7 - 9 miles out in the Galveston region. The surfside rig is 5 miles out. That rig is not very good in regards to visibility. If you want visibility and to keep it close to shore, you will want to hit the Bob Hall Pier rig. You can Google Bob Hall Pier in Corpus Christi, Texas and there should be a ton of information. The rig is around a mile offshore from the pier. If you don't mind the drive, I think that will be more toward your liking.
Watching this youtube now, just found it this afternoon after reading this thread, hope it helps you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzINM68 ... WL&index=2
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsBiw6Pfbms&t=94s

The old gas stem was about 2 miles off the beach at Surfside. We paddled out there back in 2009 and I snorkeled around and made this footage. Clarity is good enough to spear fish in my opinion.