Down PINS action

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Down PINS action

Post by Prof. Salt »

I guess 25 kings in a morning isn't too bad, even if many of them were small (eating sized) fish. I had two great topwater eats, with big (estimated 50"+) fish flying high above the water, but the lure for both fish failed to connect and flew in the air ahead of the fish as they made huge arcing leaps. Note to self: do better next time because that stuff is hard to catch on video! Of course, just as I began a long sleigh ride behind a beautiful 55 inch fatty late in the morning, the camera battery died... oh well, maybe there's enough on the video to hold you over until the storms pass and we can all head for the water again.

Killerbee

Re: Down PINS action

Post by Killerbee »

Great video Prof! I may try to.make it down in Sept after these storms if the beaches are still open.
r12338

Post by r12338 »

Hey professor- I was camped next to you on Friday night ( the person u thought was Tod :). Did you change spots around mid morning? When I got tired of all the powerboats I went in and started heading further south. About 10 miles down I could have sworn I saw you or your twin coming ashore around noonish. I had wondered about that particular spot, but had never stopped there before. Just curious if you had any luck in that second area. Thxs, Ralph
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Lol, not Tod; I thought for a second you were Kevin. Sorry.

Yeah we cleared out before most of the others. Twenty five fish was enough for me, and we went down to talk to a friend farther south. I wasn’t fishing, But I had always wanted to check out the wreck down there. Water was pretty dirty, and there wasn’t much to see so I just played in the surf for a while.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Enjoyed watching you catch so many Glenn! Well done and happy for you that you got out to enjoy the hunt! Thanks for sharing great videos! :clap:
wilsonkayak

Post by wilsonkayak »

Another great video. I have watched most of your videos over the last couple of months and have made a gaff, some rod and paddle leashes and just received a Cabelas order to make some ribbonfish rigs this weekend. I even ordered the last Halco 110 Max In Baitfish color off eBay. If you don’t live on the coast, it’s tough to order everything off the internet because so much is sold out with Covid shortages.

I don’t see your fish finder. Do you decide to take it on some trips but not others?
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

LOL, the fish finder decided not to make a good connection on the beach, so it got disconnected and left in the truck. I fished for years on intuition, and it still seems to work okay in a pinch.
wilsonkayak

Post by wilsonkayak »

Is the salt water messing it up or other connection issues?
Are any fish finder brands better for running kayaks through the surf?
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

I paddle in the bay 3-4 times a week for exercise, and the plug for the finder is sitting on the deck In a spot that is very wet. It has a cap but evidently some water got into the plug at some point. I’m going to clean it out and see if it will start working again, otherwise I’ll need a new one before next year if the authorities decide to let us fish.
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

Prof. Salt wrote:I paddle in the bay 3-4 times a week for exercise, and the plug for the finder is sitting on the deck In a spot that is very wet. It has a cap but evidently some water got into the plug at some point. I’m going to clean it out and see if it will start working again, otherwise I’ll need a new one before next year if the authorities decide to let us fish.
I had a raymarine dragonfly and fried it at the plug in the salt. They sent me a new one and I have used die electric grease in the plug and stopped trying to disconnect it as much. That seemed to do the trick so far. I reapply ample grease when I return home but try and remove the plug as little as possible. May not be an option for you depending on how you transport your yak.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

+1 on dielectric grease. Stuff works well. My local Walmart has it in a small tube with a small tip which helps getting the grease in small places like the end of a fish finder cable.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

SWFinatic wrote:+1 on dielectric grease. Stuff works well. My local Walmart has it in a small tube with a small tip which helps getting the grease in small places like the end of a fish finder cable.
I thought about that a while back, but forgot about it. I need to do this today.
Ciguatera

Post by Ciguatera »

Not to highjack the thread, but I had the same problem with corrosion in the power port of my fish finder. So far, I have had very good results with how I dealt with it.

First, I tried to do as good of a job cleaning the male and female connectors for the power to the unit. Once I had a good, clean connection, I packed it full of dialectric grease and tried to not disconnect it any further. Then, I spliced one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A6 ... UTF8&psc=1

Into the cable of the power connector and also packed it with dialectric grease. Now, I leave the connector to the unit connected at all times, and only disconnect the at the spliced connector. In addition, when disconnected, I keep the connectors covered with a second set of connectors in order to maintain the waterproof nature.

The corrosion problem has never seemed to affect the transducer connection, so I still disconnect that one at the unit. I had called garmin because I was considering shortening the transducer cable and they advised me not to do so since it is a shielded cable, so probably not a good idea to try to splice a connector in that cable.

Btw, excellent fish Prof!!