Surfside Trip Wed Aug 12th or Fri the 14th

Volkswatson

Surfside Trip Wed Aug 12th or Fri the 14th

Post by Volkswatson »

Hey all,
I am planning to hit the Surfside rig this Wed or Friday if anyone wants to join(always welcome offshore buddies).

I’ll be watching my forecasts and I’ll try to post here if anyone is interested.

I’ll prob just launch from jetties (either the coastguard boat ramp or the other drop off near the boardwalk bridge).
Volkswatson

Re: Surfside Trip Wed Aug 12th or Fri the 14th

Post by Volkswatson »

D8E6D8CD-94E7-44FC-BBDD-3371CF4E76B1.png
Wow. Don’t know that I have ever seen a week like this .

I’m leaning towards Wed. I’ll be heading home on Fri.
Mulligan

Post by Mulligan »

I see other's who have launched from this boat ramp near the Coast Guard station for BTB to hit that rig. But would it be easier and safer launching from Quintana Beach? Particularly near the fishing pier at end of 8th Street?

I launch off that boat ramp with my boat and the current at end of jetties can be pretty rough, even when wave forecast shows it being flat. Just depends on the tide. I've also launched off Surfside beach, but never from the boat ramp.

Just wondering if others use Quintana beach as an option or why they prefer not to?

Also, what forecast app are you using? It seems to show a more favorable forecast that the Magic Seaweed....which has sometimes been a hit or a miss.
Volkswatson

Post by Volkswatson »

Some do launch from Quintana, but I’ve done the jetties a number of time without any issue. Typically it’s worse on an outgoing tide, as the current and tide clash right there. I usually go during slack.

I’m using Magicseaweed, SwellInfo, and FishWeather. I’m hoping between the 3, I can get close. Lol!

Anyway, I’m still looking at Wed, but might try Thurs if Wed is a bust.
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

Have a fun, safe, productive trip. Post up on water color and action. I would not expect any issues using either launch with this forecast.

Looks like I am headed to Matagorda Friday, Saturday and maybe Sunday.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

One of the reasons why people use the jetty's instead of Quintana is because there are landmarks by the jetty's. Quintana doesn't exactly have much to go off of. If you don't have GPS, you won't know where you launched when coming back.
yangjianhunt

Post by yangjianhunt »

I've launched from Quintana beach. On a calm day without surf it's easier and with less paddling if you are targeting the 5 mile rig.
A slight limitation is that right now quintana beach seems to open at 8am -

Personally I think coastguard boat ramp is a bit safer for leaving your vehicle unattended, and no surf to deal with, but it has longer paddling and you need to be careful with boat traffic early morning.