BTB Yaks

MONSTER
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

BTB Yaks

Post by MONSTER »

Greetings all. I've been out of kayak fishing for a few years, but we recently moved back to Texas, and I'd like to get back out BTB (once I find a job, buy a house, buy a truck, etc). Which kayaks are you guys using these days? I preferred the Malibu X-Factor, but it seems that kayaks have come a long way since then.
SWFinatic

Re: BTB Yaks

Post by SWFinatic »

Hobie PA14 for me. I did do some work to make it not leak. I added two gaskets to the front hatch and sealed up the rod tubes. I have to come back in through the surf (on the surf landing) backwards but the backwards method is a good way to keep from flipping. The built-in horizontal rod holders are the next best thing to in hull rod storage that some paddle kayaks have and the weight capacity is not an issue.
Volkswatson

Post by Volkswatson »

A lot of guys love the Hobie Outbacks for BTB it gives freedom of hands while peddling.

I’m a paddler, so I’m swinging in a older Jackson Kraken.

Find out what you want to spend and features you want. There are TONs of options, but many aren’t necessary for offshore, but can make your long trip more enjoyable...
MONSTER
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by MONSTER »

I’d probably stick with the paddle as well, as I don’t plan on going out more than a mile. I saw an XFactor in the classifieds section but there’s a crack near the seat, and I’m not willing to go BTB in a cracked kayak. Anyone still peddling the Cobra FnD, or something similar?
Volkswatson

Post by Volkswatson »

I’ve seen a few FnDs, but most folks are doing Hobies. That being said, there are plenty of great paddling kayaks on the market right now. Let me know what features you’re interested in and maybe I can help suggest.
MONSTER
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by MONSTER »

Stability would be my main priority. 6’, 250lbs.

I’d fish the bays sometimes, but I’m all about the BTB
Volkswatson

Post by Volkswatson »

Full disclosure, I’m sure I’m missing many manufacturers, so hopefully some folks will chime in.

If you’re looking to save some bucks, I’ve heard some folks like the vibe SeaGhost. They’re affordable, but I’m sure there’s a reason for that.

Ocean Kayak still makes some amazing offshore yaks. They were made for ocean, so they’re a safe bet. Price is mid range.

I heard that wilderness systems is giving the Tarpon a facelift, and they’re known for their great offshore usage.

I haven’t seen any new offshore type yaks from Jackson, but many of their yaks will work offshore just fine.

Oh I almost forgot the viking kayaks. Great paddle, great for offshore. Price is reasonable.

On the upper end you’ll get your Hobies and Stealth kayaks. The stealths are crazy fast paddle, made of fiberglass, & are pretty tops for offshore fishing paddlers.

Check the classifieds here on TKF for many of thsee yaks. Some great deals can be had...
Fla-Fish
TKF 8000 Club
TKF 8000 Club

Post by Fla-Fish »

MONSTER wrote:I’d probably stick with the paddle as well, as I don’t plan on going out more than a mile. I saw an XFactor in the classifieds section but there’s a crack near the seat, and I’m not willing to go BTB in a cracked kayak. Anyone still peddling the Cobra FnD, or something similar?
If your not going far (rig trips) and you want stable and paddle the FnD rocks. I am just finishing putting one together ( my 4th)I found used in good shape. Problem is finding them. I just heard the new ones are now made in China (what a surprise) and the shipping weight dropped from 72 lbs to 56 lbs. That’s some cheap Thin plastic. If you can find one used or an X Factor used that’s your best, lowest cost, most stable out there.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

MONSTER wrote:Stability would be my main priority. 6’, 250lbs.

I’d fish the bays sometimes, but I’m all about the BTB
IMO the best paddling kayak with the most stability is the Viking Profish 400. Really easy to paddle for a 32" wide kayak and had a huge center hatch to store lots of tackle. Big rear tank well for cooler or fish bag. I doubt you'll find a used one though.
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

Welcome back Monster. Have not heard from you in a while. For big guys there are a few more options. I still sport the FND but hobie has some nice options at the ProAngler lots of guys like these. The Kraken is a good one too. I was watching this. The Viking line has a few big boat options. I have a friend riding the Vibe I think and it’s an affordable option. Check the kayak stores. Lots to choose from. Just like years ago a lot of subjective opinions in the best boat. Different opinions.

WM
MONSTER wrote:Greetings all. I've been out of kayak fishing for a few years, but we recently moved back to Texas, and I'd like to get back out BTB (once I find a job, buy a house, buy a truck, etc). Which kayaks are you guys using these days? I preferred the Malibu X-Factor, but it seems that kayaks have come a long way since then.
MONSTER
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by MONSTER »

Thanks WM. Good to see some cronies still around. I’ve never heard of Viking brand, but I’ll look into it. I may see if I can find an old XFactor, although I don’t know if or when they stopped making them. Didn’t you used to have a yak with a motor? I was just looking through some old photos of our gatherings....good times.
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

From the surf in most cases I like my ride135. A very good light paddle made all the difference for me being 6,5" #290. My paddle cost half as much as my 135.
I have a pA14 but think for peddling off the beach the old town predator pdl would be better for me.
GregO722

Post by GregO722 »

Monster, if it turns out that the Kraken is of interest to you, let me know. I have a Kraken that is decked out for BTB fishing that I would sell. It's a great color (Dorado) and has about every possible option, gear tracks, anchor trolly, K-Krate (plumbed for live well), and rudder. I'm sure there's more that I'm not thinking about. It's like new, as I'm using an outback these days so the Kraken is just collecting dust. I've used it BTB two or three times, no bottom rash, none, Has not been dragged across anything. I use the outback because it's a little easier to get in and out of the truck bed. Something to consider with the Kraken, it's a bigger kayak.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

I'm sure there are much better kayaks out there, but I used my 12' heritage redfish twice now. Once to surfside and once to Bob Hall. It's plenty stable, light and I never felt in danger of tipping at any time.

It's just a big struggle to go further than 3-5 miles out especially with wind or current to fight.
And a rudder or skeg is essential.

If you are just doing 1 mile max it's a fine kayak and not very expensive.

I upgraded my front and rear hatch gaskets from the stock rubber to neoprene rubber (seals in gaps a lot better). I had a hull full of water the 1st time with the hard rubber gasket. I had hardly a drop the 2nd time with the neoprene.
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

I am a Huge fan of the hobie outback pre 2019. They got rid of the cupholders I used to troll with:-( after that.

That being said I would like to try something a little faster. Maybe a stealth or Viking. The prof is moving on that stealth. Less time paddling means more time fishing. I would prolly having a huge learning curve in one of those Ferraris though.
MONSTER
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by MONSTER »

Thanks all for the input.

GregO - I appreciate the offer (sounds like a nice rig), but I probably won’t be buying anything for a little while longer.