Storing lots of anchor rope

Chubs

Storing lots of anchor rope

Post by Chubs »

How do you guys stow your rope if you ever plan to anchor out in deep water?

You need a lot of rope I hear, 3 ft rope per ft of depth. I'm hoping to get by with 2' rope per foot of depth.

Here is what I came up with after looking around the internet awhile back. This is 100' of nylon rope, 600 or 800 lb breaking strength. Made my own rope spool out of a heavy duty cutting board from Sam's club. I will attach a float to the spool so I can make use of a quick disconnect if needed.
Attachments
20200729_111635.jpg
SWFinatic

Re: Storing lots of anchor rope

Post by SWFinatic »

I use one of these https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/tool ... koEALw_wcB

It's not a compact as your Chubs. It's kind of long (probably 24" if I had to guess) but it will easily hold 150 feet of paracord. A float with a quick disconnect is key IMO.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

I actually quit using a cord wrap. I have 2 different lengths of 25 ft of 880 paracord with carabiners on the ends. When I need extra rope I just clip on the 2nd one. Most times I get by with one. I just coil the rope, wrap it around itself and a couple half hitches and store under my seat. When I'm using it I just leave the excess kinda coiled in the floor between my legs.

Edit - I just realized this is under BTB, so you'll probably need more than the 50 ft I use. Disregard, lol

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
DumpTruck

Post by DumpTruck »

Check out dive reels. I use them and dont even change out the cord on them. Strong enough to hold 2 yaks on one anchor in adverse conditions.
AyJay
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AyJay »

I use lighter rope, 200lb working load is plenty or a kayak and a 5lb anchor. Line length is key, so some sort of spool or holder to wind it on is helpful. I like floating line should I have an anchor float mishap, there is a chance I can still locate the line. I use a short lead chain on my anchor to help it dig into the sand initially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bwells

Post by Bwells »

Listen to dumptruck.....only way to go. Mine have held 3 AIs with a small bruce claw in conditions that most would never venture out in.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

AyJay wrote:I use lighter rope, 200lb working load is plenty or a kayak and a 5lb anchor. Line length is key, so some sort of spool or holder to wind it on is helpful. I like floating line should I have an anchor float mishap, there is a chance I can still locate the line. I use a short lead chain on my anchor to help it dig into the sand initially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking to decrease the amount of rope on the yak, has anyone used amsteel for anchor or safety rope?
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

Here's how I setup for a yet to venture BTB trip. https://youtu.be/Cl95wRN9VQI

-Roy
TarponTime

Post by TarponTime »

imaoldmanyoungsalt wrote:I actually quit using a cord wrap. I have 2 different lengths of 25 ft of 880 paracord with carabiners on the ends. When I need extra rope I just clip on the 2nd one. Most times I get by with one. I just coil the rope, wrap it around itself and a couple half hitches and store under my seat. When I'm using it I just leave the excess kinda coiled in the floor between my legs.

Edit - I just realized this is under BTB, so you'll probably need more than the 50 ft I use. Disregard, lol

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
50 ft. is ample on the upper Tx. coast. 25 ft. depth is way out there.