*****BOB HALL PIER - BTB, August 23, 2020 SUNDAY (((CONT. UPDATES)))*****

SWFinatic

Re: *****BOB HALL PIER - BTB, JUNE 20, 2020 SATURDAY (((NEW UPDATES)))*****

Post by SWFinatic »

Brucell wrote:I'm out. Blake, this is father's day weekend!
I'm with ya. Father's day is really about our Father's so I'm sure I'll be doing something with my Dad. Besides I have to be home that Sunday evening in time for the new season of Yellowstone! :D
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

To clarify I do agree with your call Blake on postponing the outing. What not seeing good forecast conditions either.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

Blake: for 6/20 I am out as we have some business scheduled for that day. :( If you guys get to go out, be safe, have fun and save some fish for others.

Tight Lines and wear the PDF.
MTStringerS

Post by MTStringerS »

Hey Blake. For all of us that are pretty new to the BTB scene could you tell us what sites you look at to get your information about surf, swell, winds, weather and all the other stuff. I think it would be a great learning experience to see what you are seeing and why you make the choice to go or not. I think many of us have fished before and while this is a new type of fishing we could figure it out, but the hardest part (at least for me) is determining what is good weather or conditions for BTB. Since part or this outing is to learn about BTB I think this would be a great teaching moment.

Thanks.
soje

Post by soje »

This is awesome. I haven't had a yak for a long time because I was dealing with health issues. I'm past the health stuff, and will probably get a new boat. I hope this is still going on, when I'm able to attend. Serious props to Yakety for putting this together. What an impressive response too. I bet it's awesome to see a fleet of a hundred yaks on the beach, and even cooler out in the deep water. If/when I am able to attend, I'll look into hiring one of those drone videographers. It would be super cool to have some aerial footage of the different stages of the trip. Of course I'd have to check with CG to make sure the drone is allowed, but I can't think of any reason it wouldn't be.

Hope y'all have an awesome time, everyone slays em, and everyone keeps it safe. Hope to join in on the next trip.
Houstoned

Post by Houstoned »

Has anyone ever tried to take an Old Town AutoPilot out through the surf? I just got mine and it definitely doesn't paddle fast so I'm worried about getting out through the breakers. Does anyone know someone who has done it? Not sure if it would be possible without the trolling motor on and running.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Houstoned wrote:Has anyone ever tried to take an Old Town AutoPilot out through the surf? I just got mine and it definitely doesn't paddle fast so I'm worried about getting out through the breakers. Does anyone know someone who has done it? Not sure if it would be possible without the trolling motor on and running.
Welcome to the forum!

I don't. You most likely will have to have close to if not a flat surf to take the AutoPilot offshore. You won't be able to use the TM through the surf unless tides are over a foot high (preferably closer to 2 foot high). Another option for you is to launch at Packery or Port A and come through the cut where you can use the motor.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

SWFinatic wrote:
Houstoned wrote:Has anyone ever tried to take an Old Town AutoPilot out through the surf? I just got mine and it definitely doesn't paddle fast so I'm worried about getting out through the breakers. Does anyone know someone who has done it? Not sure if it would be possible without the trolling motor on and running.
Welcome to the forum!

I don't. You most likely will have to have close to if not a flat surf to take the AutoPilot offshore. You won't be able to use the TM through the surf unless tides are over a foot high (preferably closer to 2 foot high). Another option for you is to launch at Packery or Port A and come through the cut where you can use the motor.
I agree, I wouldn't recommend taking it out unless you launch at the Packery Jetty (unless the surf is less than 1 ft.). If you were to turtle in the surf, there could be possible repercussions to your TM.

Something to consider as this yak is fairly new in the market. If the trolling motor malfunctions toward the rig, that is going to be a very long and hard paddle back to shore. If you don't have another kayak, I would recommend renting from Roy's Bait & Tackle, in Corpus.
Houstoned

Post by Houstoned »

Something to consider as this yak is fairly new in the market. If the trolling motor malfunctions toward the rig, that is going to be a very long and hard paddle back to shore. If you don't have another kayak, I would recommend renting from Roy's Bait & Tackle, in Corpus.
Yea I've dealt with a couple motor disconnect issues (loose battery connections, corrosion issues, etc). I've been working to waterproof everything.

I'm really just looking to go a mile offshore max on ice cream condition days. Definitely going to launch from Surfside boat ramp or Packery boat ramp. You guys have me convinced that launching from the beach isn't an option at this point.

I called Roy's and they told me they don't rent kayaks.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Houstoned wrote:
Yea I've dealt with a couple motor disconnect issues (loose battery connections, corrosion issues, etc). I've been working to waterproof everything.

I'm really just looking to go a mile offshore max on ice cream condition days. Definitely going to launch from Surfside boat ramp or Packery boat ramp. You guys have me convinced that launching from the beach isn't an option at this point.

I believe they used to rent kayaks but apparently they don't now. After you told me they didn't, I made a call and I was shocked to hear that Roy's doesn't rent kayaks. I would simply rent from ACK in Houston or FTU. If you go Hobie, you will need to rent all the way at the FTU on the south freeway. ACK still sells Hobie kayaks but no longer rents them (I'm not sure why). The FTU off of I-10 freeway has a Native Slayer Propel (which is a good yak to take BTB).
Kalait

Re: *****BOB HALL PIER - BTB, JUNE 27, 2020 SATURDAY (((NEW UPDATES)))*****

Post by Kalait »

Yakety_Yak wrote:[UPDATED 6-18-20] This weekend is totally off of the table for offshore kayak fishing. Everything looks bad so my suggestion is to fish inshore or lakes. We will try again for next Saturday. For those of you that have done BTB before know how things are with conditions/weather. If you are new, just know that this is a normal occurrence. Us experienced BTB fishermen wait for those better days and take it if we are able to get away from our jobs and/or everyday lives. Stay tuned, I will make another update for the following weekend starting on Sunday. Also, just know that usually July and August are the best months for BTB. The conditions lay down leaving us with options for going out offshore on the kayak. Have a safe and wonderful upcoming Father's Day weekend!
What time do we generally float? I will have to buy bait Saturday morning before launch. Suggestions please, who is the best? After the first trip I may keep frozen bait for BTB.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

What floats do you put on your gaff?
justin-branam

Post by justin-branam »

Count me in as a maybe (Justin Branam, aka "theHOONeybadger"). Any idea if the RV park there takes reservations, or is it first come first served? I didn't see it on their website. Thanks!
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Yakety_Yak wrote:
Houstoned wrote:

I believe they used to rent kayaks but apparently they don't now. After you told me they didn't, I made a call and I was shocked to hear that Roy's doesn't rent kayaks. I would simply rent from ACK in Houston or FTU. If you go Hobie, you will need to rent all the way at the FTU on the south freeway. ACK still sells Hobie kayaks but no longer rents them (I'm not sure why). The FTU off of I-10 freeway has a Native Slayer Propel (which is a good yak to take BTB).
Last time I visited Fin Factory, they rented a Hobie to a customer.
TexasDrew

Post by TexasDrew »

Getting a new Trident 13 but it will not be delivered until July 25th probably not enough time to equip and head out there but I'll try. Going to Port Aransas week of July 8th; hopefully there will be another outing.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Kalait wrote:What time do we generally float? I will have to buy bait Saturday morning before launch. Suggestions please, who is the best? After the first trip I may keep frozen bait for BTB.
We usually will launch around 7:00 am. Check out my opening post in this thread, with all the info to this outing, and you will see bait shops listed with addresses and phone numbers. My recommendation is to call them in advance to make sure they have ribbon fish and any other bait you may want. Next, check out their hours of operation. Some of these shops don't open until 5:00 am on the weekend. With that being the case, that doesn't give you much time to get to the outing and get setup. My suggestion would be to pick up bait the day before or if you know of someone that will be down in CC, see if they can get bait for ya. I usually keep my ribbons after the outing by putting them on ice until I get home. I will then put them in the deep freezer. Usually I will get one more time out with that bait before it gets really flimsy to place on the hooks.

Kalait wrote:What floats do you put on your gaff?
I don't put any floats on my gaff. My gaff floats already through the material it's made of.

justin-branam wrote:Count me in as a maybe (Justin Branam, aka "theHOONeybadger"). Any idea if the RV park there takes reservations, or is it first come first served? I didn't see it on their website. Thanks!
Got ya added. I don't know much on the RV park other than there is one right next to BHP. You will need to call them and get some details. In the future, I will get the info and post up on here. Good info to know for future fellow BTB people.

TexasDrew wrote:Getting a new Trident 13 but it will not be delivered until July 25th probably not enough time to equip and head out there but I'll try. Going to Port Aransas week of July 8th; hopefully there will be another outing.
Keep watching the thread in case we have this outing postponed again. You may yet make this trip.
Tombo

Re: **********BOB HALL PIER - BTB, JUNE 6, 2020 SATURDAY**********

Post by Tombo »

LTA wrote:Two question 1 How deep is the water at the Stand Pipe? 2 How deep is at the Rigs?
About 50 to 60 feet.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Probably has been suggested but bring a hand pump. If not for you then for someone else. I brought mine when going offshore and if needed from another kayaker, would give them the pump and get it back on the beach. Fishing with a buddy is a great safety suggestion. If I or my fishing partner had trouble, we would both go in.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Tombo wrote:Probably has been suggested but bring a hand pump. If not for you then for someone else. I brought mine when going offshore and if needed from another kayaker, would give them the pump and get it back on the beach. Fishing with a buddy is a great safety suggestion. If I or my fishing partner had trouble, we would both go in.
I couldn't agree with you more. That is what we do at this outing. I pair up each new person with an experienced person so that the new person's first experience is a good one. Safety is in numbers! :)
Fig

Re: *****BOB HALL PIER - BTB, JULY 5, 2020 SUNDAY (((CONT. UPDATES)))*****

Post by Fig »

I am rigging a trolling setup and want some opinions from the experienced BTBers. Which way would y’all go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

You better have the rod tethered, some of the fish I had encountered would break the PVC. May I suggest you shorten this setup so its closer to the hull. I bet others would chime in with better ideas than I.
On a side note, that rod is the best buy for the buck offshore.
Fig

Post by Fig »

Tombo wrote:You better have the rod tethered, some of the fish I had encountered would break the PVC. May I suggest you shorten this setup so its closer to the hull. I bet others would chime in with better ideas than I.
On a side note, that rod is the best buy for the buck offshore.
Absolutely on the tethering. I just had it higher because of my paddle stroke. Thank you for the suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Search for Professor Salt for his dual setup. He has caught many a fish on it.
Rmaulden

Post by Rmaulden »

Hi guys! I’m interested in joining this outing. I’ve never been BTB before. Gotta say, I’m a little nervous. I’ll be getting a VHF radio today. I have two Penn Fierce rods with 4000 series reels. Are they adequate to the task? Also, what lures would you recommend? I’d be driving down late Saturday night and camping on the beach. I don’t think I’ll get there in time to get bait the night before. I have a cheap fish bag, a good quality PFD, and a VHF radio is coming, is there anything I’m missing?
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Rmaulden wrote:Hi guys! I’m interested in joining this outing. I’ve never been BTB before. Gotta say, I’m a little nervous. I’ll be getting a VHF radio today. I have two Penn Fierce rods with 4000 series reels. Are they adequate to the task? Also, what lures would you recommend? I’d be driving down late Saturday night and camping on the beach. I don’t think I’ll get there in time to get bait the night before. I have a cheap fish bag, a good quality PFD, and a VHF radio is coming, is there anything I’m missing?
Welcome aboard. I've got ya added to the list. Hit me up anytime this evening if you have any questions. I'm happy to chat offshore kayak fishing. 832-588-7091 I'll be up until around 11:00 ish. Text first and if I'm awake and respond, we can talk via phone. :)