Matagorda

Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Matagorda

Post by Earl »

I am headed down this afternoon and plan on fishing Fri-Sat and maybe a bit Sunday AM. I will be camped out about 6.5 miles east of the entrance. Plan on hitting the nearshore (2mile) rig on my way out to the group of 12 rigs that are 7 miles out. Then depending on conditions hitting the artificial reef about 9.6 miles out. I will be in my yellow Hobie Tandem AI.

SYOTW,
Earl
SWFinatic

Re: Matagorda

Post by SWFinatic »

Sounds like fun! That's definitely farther out than I would venture. Weather should be good. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

Earl wrote:I am headed down this afternoon and plan on fishing Fri-Sat and maybe a bit Sunday AM. I will be camped out about 6.5 miles east of the entrance. Plan on hitting the nearshore (2mile) rig on my way out to the group of 12 rigs that are 7 miles out. Then depending on conditions hitting the artificial reef about 9.6 miles out. I will be in my yellow Hobie Tandem AI.

SYOTW,
Earl
With 2 peddlers you should be fine, have fun, be safe!
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

Hey we will meet you there. We’ve got a group of 6 yakers out there. Channel 69.

WM
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

Fun Trip: It was a great day on the water. Sorry Wolfman, I did not see your post so I did not even turn on my VHF. I got off the beach a bit after sunrise and headed straight out to the rigs at 7 miles, electing not to stop at the inshore rig as the water color was pale green. The wind was perfect and made 6-8 mph getting out there. The water went from pale green at 2 miles to deep green at about mile 4 to perfect blue at mile 6. There were a couple of PB hanging around two of the rigs so I sailed off to an isolated one and trolled around it with nothing. Rounded another rig and nothing and did not see any of the PB with bent poles either. I was going to head on out to the artificial reef but a little rain storm was hanging and developing out that way and was producing an occasional gust but no lightning. I decided to hang back and troll and wait out the dark clouds.

I trolled back inshore about a half mile to small weed line and occasional birds. Bang, game on first king in the boat, back to it and bang 4.5’ blacktip. That fellow got my lure down so he got to keep it. Trolled back to the rig then back to the weedline and picked up king 2 and 3. The lure was not out more than 15s and bam again. They were thick, I boated 6 kept my limit then checked my fish bag for ice. The 20# of ice I put in the evening before was already running thin with the addition of the kings. The cloud was gone but did not want to let those fish spoil so I headed in and went by the inshore rig to say hello. Caught two small Spanish macs on the way. I was on the beach by 1pm, cleaned fish, drank a couple of cold ones, took a siesta.

I typically use Rapala X-rap Magnum or Yo-Zuri and some others but today I was using a Rapala and Halco 110. I let the Rapala out furthest and kept the Halco in close. All fish were caught on the Halco 110. Not a single hit on the Rapala which has been a great producer for me in the past. Seems like a great lure and they were hitting it even when stopped putting fish in the bag.

SYOTW,
Earl
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

we gotta talk you into a camera
Blue Devil 7

Post by Blue Devil 7 »

Thanks for the report. What color Halco were those kings liking?
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

The H#50 and H#53, two very different colors. One Red/White the other silver/blue minnow. I think it was more the presentation, at least this past weekend it was. My experience is that this can change year to year as last year I had several double hookups on the Rapalas and they would just hit it back to back. This year a clear preference for the Halco. Different bait in the water I suppose.

Earl
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

Hey Earl were you on a TI?

I was one of the power boats you saw I think. I have a really good friend that wanted to take his boy for his bday so we were at the 7 mile rigs and I think I saw you(19ft mako skiff). We killed the kings that day. I am putting a video together of that day. I have already released the video on.my utube channel of the day prior at the short rig.
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

yes, yellow TI. piddled around the rigs a bit and did not hook anything so went back to a small weedline and they were thick. Could have CR all day but I just cannot justify hooking those fellas to much. I really enjoyed the day and the great blue water that close in.

My Labor Day plans are a bit up in the air right now. I was supposed to head to New Mexico and Colorado for a week running a couple of rivers but my son had to back out. So I will be watching the coastal forecast and if there is a few day window I may head down to PINS or back to Matty.

Earl
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

Yes sir, that was me at the rig close to the one you went out to. You came to the rig we were at next, I figured you were killing them!
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Thanks for that report! Glad you found em.