How to get into "offshore" shape

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

How to get into "offshore" shape

Post by Prof. Salt »

Our winds are usually ripping, and it makes staying in shape tricky. When the offshore conditions are good we all want to jump out there and make the most of it, but staying in shape to get it done can be tricky. I used to just go out and shove the kayak around in the winds, knowing that it kept my paddling muscles strong and it needed to be done. A few weeks ago someone (I don't remember who) sent me a video clip of Aussies doing something called downwind paddling. They basically go out into larger wind-driven swells and surf on the waves for miles and take out at the next bay where a friend picks them up.
My method is simplified but still a ton of fun. I paddle into the open bay and ride the waves until I come to the shore. Then I have to fight the wind to get back to my launch, but I found a route that features rock walls to break the wind for me and make it much more manageable. I reach speeds of 10-12 mph on windy days, and trust me that will make you smile! On the way back I am not racing, just enjoying the scenery and plodding along while improving those paddling muscles.

Last edited by Prof. Salt on Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: How to get into "offshore" shape

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

Paddling under the hull of the Gray Ghost how cool is that. You look like you could cross Baffin on a small craft advisory day and actually enjoy it. Well done.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Sorry, the sound didn't transfer to the YouTube post. I'll try it again and put the new video on...
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

:clap: Best way to stay in shaoe is to use those muscles daily! Nice vid of you surfing!