BTB success - kind of...

MTStringerS

BTB success - kind of...

Post by MTStringerS »

Went out a couple of days ago to the Mayan Princess rigs. It started out a little windy but no surf and minor swells. Calmed to lake like conditions later in the day. I am still pretty new at this to and learning a little each time I go. I basically just trolled lures (rat-l-trap, rapala magnum 20 and yozuri crystal minnow) and ribbon fish. I did end up catching 2 kings and a spanish but I lost 5 other somethings. I am guessing kings based on the initial run. I am super happy about getting the 3 I got especially the big king. It was over 50".

My question is - Is this a normal hook up rate? It seems like I lost too many. Two of the hits were on the rapala magnum. One gave me a little 15 second pull and gone the other just hit and bounced the rod good but probably never really got a hook. The other 3 were on ribbon fish and all 3 gave me the super fun run at the beginning and I fought them for a minute or so before it just went slack. I never lost tension in the line so not sure what happened. None of them cut the line or broke, I got all my gear back. I was using leaders like Prof. Salt shows in his video with j hooks and treble stingers. I understand it is fishing and "one" always gets away, just wondering if 5 out of 8 is a lot or normal and if there is something I should be doing different?

Finally, just a side note on something I have never seen before and thought was very unique. After I lost one of the kings on the wire leader set up I was reeling in my gear and noticed it felt a little heavy but knew the king was off. When I got it up to the boat, I had a little 6 inch bait fish. I think a hard tail but again I am still new to the offshore thing so I could be wrong. Anyway, it was hooked through the mouth on the j hook. So it wasn't like it was snagged but like it went after the hook. Maybe the little hardtail chased off the big ol bad king so he could get in on the action. HA HA. I did have a shiny tinsel duster above the hook so I am assuming he was after that. But it just seemed very weird to lose a king and catch a hard tail on the same hook!

It did work out in that the little guy did go back on my hook as bait and he caught me the big king.

Tight lines (at least for a minute... :lol: )
Kalait

Re: BTB success - kind of...

Post by Kalait »

Good looking fish, thanks for the report.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

That's awesome congrats on the king's! I'm not experienced to answer your question about the misses but I'm sure someone will chime in to help.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Nice fish, congrats!

The kings were missing a lot that day. I was at the state park rigs just a couple of miles south of you and had the same troubles. Lures are much more difficult to get good hookup ratios because the hooks are thick and by the time you pick up the rod they've frequently managed to shake the hooks loose. Run the drag heavier when you pull lures, but be careful or you'll snap the line when they strike.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Great advise from the master! The 6" fish may have been in the king fish mouth and you hooked it when the fish was fighting and pulled it out of his mouth maybe. I have the same issue sometimes. The strike the end and one hook usually may not hold. Better hook up when they hit the head of the ribbon. Great report and pics!
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

Nice catch!! I've got a couple of those daiwa Bg's nice reels
MTStringerS

Post by MTStringerS »

Thanks. Hopefully I can get back out there again and see if I can do better. I will try increasing the drag a little on the lures. Also, I had a circle hook as the main hook instead of a j hook. Not sure if that matters. Most of my catches have been with the stinger hooks anyway.

Has anyone used j hooks instead of trembles for the stingers? Or would a bigger treble work better?