Mayan Princess 6-30-19

kev_theis

Re: Mayan Princess 6-30-19

Post by kev_theis »

Thanks kickingback! I’ll be going with my future brother in law who is somewhat experienced but I don’t think we’ll be going into the surf just yet. I’ve heard that Mustang Park (think that’s what it’s called) is good and it’s only a few miles down 361 so looking at going there and a few other spots on 361 unless anyone knows any better inshore spots we could check out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kev_theis

Post by kev_theis »

Great info btw, definitely wasn’t aware of all that!

SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

kev_theis wrote:Great info btw, definitely wasn’t aware of all that!

There's a ton of great info on this site. If you're going offshore browse through the BTB section and read through some of the posts. Lots of good info! I second going with someone. Wouldn't recommend going alone unless you're experienced. Also highly recommend a good VHF waterproof radio. Can't stress how handy they are out there. Also leash everything down you don't want to lose. You will flip your kayak eventually going offshore. Even if you make leashes out of paracord leash everything down. In the past month I've heard of thousands of dollars in gear lost (from Go Pros to rods/reels to 3600 boxes full of tackle) with a few guys flipping in the surf and not having gear leashed. This is all info I'm sure you've heard before but it's worth repeating.

I've found these work well and are cheap insurance to go with your leashes. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076D ... UTF8&psc=1

Hope you find some fish! Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
MTStringerS

Post by MTStringerS »

It was a rough start to the day. I didn't head out til around 830 or 9 but it was still pretty rough. Like someone said it calmed a little around 1030. The swells were still pretty good size but at least the wind and its waves werent so bad. I was able to hook a king around noon. almost 40 inches. Other than that it was pretty slow.

Still trying to figure out the image posting. I will try - hopefully it shows up...

Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

My apologies to everyone for not making it. As many of you know, there was a head on collision between a motorcycle and a SUV as we were on our way to Port Aransas. We were indirectly involved. After the accident happened, we veered through the mess in the dark trying to avoid hitting anything as the SUV was blocking the middle of the road. With the concrete barrier on the edge of the road, making it impossible to move to the shoulder, we barely hit the SUV and sustained minimal damage. Due to this situation, we were considered secondary witnesses, according to the state trooper, and we had to stay. We filled out a statement as well as had to answer several questions. By the time we were released, we would not have made it to the MP beach line until after 10 am. We realized our day to fish was over so we headed back to Houston.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

MTStringerS wrote:It was a rough start to the day. I didn't head out til around 830 or 9 but it was still pretty rough. Like someone said it calmed a little around 1030. The swells were still pretty good size but at least the wind and its waves werent so bad. I was able to hook a king around noon. almost 40 inches. Other than that it was pretty slow.

Still trying to figure out the image posting. I will try - hopefully it shows up...

Congrats on the king! It was good to meet you.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Yakety_Yak wrote:My apologies to everyone for not making it. As many of you know, there was a head on collision between a motorcycle and a SUV as we were on our way to Port Aransas. We were indirectly involved. After the accident happened, we veered through the mess in the dark trying to avoid hitting anything as the SUV was blocking the middle of the road. With the concrete barrier on the edge of the road, making it impossible to move to the shoulder, we barely hit the SUV and sustained minimal damage. Due to this situation, we were considered secondary witnesses, according to the state trooper, and we had to stay. We filled out a statement as well as had to answer several questions. By the time we were released, we would not have made it to the MP beach line until after 10 am. We realized our day to fish was over so we headed back to Houston.
No worries Blake. Glad y'all weren't directly involved! Hopefully we can make it happen again soon.
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

Enjoyed this thread! I look foward to meeting some of yall on the beach soon!