Surfside 6/29 or 6/30

Mhedgar

Surfside 6/29 or 6/30

Post by Mhedgar »

Looking to go out this Saturday or Sunday out of Surfside. Conditions are looking to be pretty good.

Is anyone else looking to go? I’d be down to hit up the 5 mile rig.
DeeepSouth

Re: Surfside 6/29 or 6/30

Post by DeeepSouth »

I’ll send a PM, but I am interested for Sunday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
hosam.yacoub

Post by hosam.yacoub »

I am interested if you are going out on Sunday. It would be my first time.
This is my number: 281-944-5157
SteveRetrieve

Surfside 6/29 or 6/30

Post by SteveRetrieve »

Let us know how it goes
slayer10

Post by slayer10 »

I'll be out there this Sunday for sure. You launching out the surf or jetties?..
Mhedgar

Post by Mhedgar »

Launching from the surf most likely. I’ll be in a yellow PA12.
Papa33

Post by Papa33 »

I’ll be out Sunday too. I’ll be in a orange camo moken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DeeepSouth

Post by DeeepSouth »

I also have a yellow PA12. I’ll be the guy that looks like he has no idea what he’s doing. Because, well...

What radio channel do you guys typically run on?

Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Hey guys, I thought I would take a few moments to fill you guys in on the area out at Surfside. There is nothing wrong with doing a beach launch but if you are only going to be fishing this weekend and not hanging out at the beach, my recommendation is to launch from the Coast Guard Station. We call it that because the boat launch we launch from is right next door. Not only is there a protected boat launch, this place also has some restrooms. The other thing to consider is that there is a cleaning station. I know that some of you guys are going to say that the surf is low and you are correct but why work harder? I'll be doing BTB kayak fishing in Corpus this Sunday which is why I won't be able to hook up in Surfside. I've fished Surfside many times. I wish you guys well for those that are going.

Tight lines!
DeeepSouth

Post by DeeepSouth »

This will be my 1st trip to Surfside. Is that Coast Guard Station a better place to launch from than Jetty Park?

Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

I used to launch at Bryant beach which allow me to drive all the way to the water line and park on the beach and save some paddling distance.
You might need to have beach parking permit.l

CAUTION: Surfside used to call a “washing machine” for a reason. Please careful for its strong current.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

DeeepSouth wrote:This will be my 1st trip to Surfside. Is that Coast Guard Station a better place to launch from than Jetty Park?
IMO, yes.

Fishtolive is correct though. If the currents are moving, the mouth of the jetties can be a challenge.
Mhedgar

Post by Mhedgar »

I ended up launching from Surfside beach through very calm surf Sunday around 630 am. I didn’t go out to the rig do to some of the storms in the area.

I caught one good sized king trolling a ribbon fish along a tidal rip about 2 miles from the beach. He ended up at 43” and 27 lbs. The water was very clear and I was able to see a lot of bait that was hanging around the rip.

Papa33

Post by Papa33 »

Nice! I was planning on going but checked the weather late Saturday night and saw the rain and decided to stay home. I was wondering if anyone ended up going. I’ve been kicking myself ever since because Sunday turned out to be PERFECT. Glad someone was able to take advantage that’s a nice king!

Mhedgar

Post by Mhedgar »

Yah a big storm passed just West of Freeport. I was watching it before I launched. If I’m within a couple miles of the beach I get good cell service so I will continuously watch the weather. If something pops up I can run in to the beach.

Mhedgar

Post by Mhedgar »

I also had the jetty close by as added protection. Ended up being a beautiful day.

For anyone newer to BTB I would recommend going out next to the jetty. It is a safer place to get a feel for handling your yak. You do have to watch the jetty guys as they will sling spoons at you if you get too close.

Papa33

Post by Papa33 »

Yea that’s usually where I launch from too. I don’t like to launch from the coastguard station if I don’t have to because thins do get pretty sketchy at the mouth of the jetty. Launching from the beach gives you the protection of the rocks. Plus you can fish and potentially pick up bait and maybe even a smack or two on the way to deeper water. I’ll be watching the waves so I can get out there first chance conditions are good. Haven’t caught a king in over three years so getting out to the rig would be therapeutic

Mhedgar

Post by Mhedgar »

I’ll be in Alabama the rest of the week but let me know when you are looking to go after the holiday weekend. I am usually able to get out when the weather allows.

Papa33

Post by Papa33 »

Ok sounds good. Will do