Found 'em!

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Found 'em!

Post by Prof. Salt »

I launched as soon as there was enough light to be seen, and headed for the rigs off Bob Hall Pier. Wind had dropped off to nothing and conditions were perfect ...well, it could have been less than 212 degrees :shock: , but I'm not complaining. The larger fish at the rigs were all staying deep, but the surface was alive with blue runners. I caught a pair of runners and rigged them on weighted leaders. They were sent 20-30 feet down and I began to make drifts around the rigs. Fish were 25-50 yards from the rigs but I found them.

Oddly, all of the area powerboats were trolling the surface or anchored and fishing the bottom with no luck, even when they would come by and see what I was doing to catch fish. I guess some folks will just stick with what worked the last time, but it pays to experiment until you figure out what the fish want.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuoBmS-n_cU&t=4s[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuoBmS-n_cU&t=4s

*It appears that the video feature isn't working again. :?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Found 'em!

Post by kickingback »

:clap: Well done Glenn!!! Glad you found and hooked some! Did you color your weights pink?
I'm coming down this week! Thanks for sharing! :clap:
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Thanks. When I was packing my gear I wanted a variety of weight sizes to work with the conditions I would encounter. The pink/white weights were leftovers from an old project where I was trying out some home-made jig designs. It didn't work as well as I hoped, so the weights found themselves on wire leaders.

I think the pink color may help attract kingfish, but even if not at least it makes things more visible as I get a fish close to the boat. The pink color sticks out like a sore thumb when looking down on it from the kayak!
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

Congratulations Glenn, love watching your videos, working on getting all my gear ready for the 5-mile
paddle in the salt.
Vlad_989

Post by Vlad_989 »

I also found a few kings and a lot of sharks.
Attachments
IMG_20190608_163111_549.jpg
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

That was a considerate shark, lol. They usually steal all the meat from my fish and leave me the head. Your shark gutted the fish and left you the meat - not bad! :clap: :D
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

Great report out there Glen. Nicely done. That’s a lot of paddling.