Mayan Princess BTB 6/8 ?

GregO722

Mayan Princess BTB 6/8 ?

Post by GregO722 »

I've been all in for the Bob Hall BTB get together this weekend...got a room, bringing the family for a weekend get-a-way. Now that it has moved to Sunday, I'm thinking that I may just plan to get out Saturday anyway. It would be difficult to make a Sunday BTB trip, then make the trek back to Austin Sunday afternoon.
I would really like to do both days, I like the social aspect of the "get together", but the wife will not give up both days.
Anyone else in the same situation? Anyone interested in a Saturday BTB?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Mayan Princess BTB 6/8 ?

Post by kickingback »

Saturday and Sunday are doable. Just take your time when launching and recovering.
The breakers and wind look better for Tuesday thru Thursday, 11th-13th. I may be down on one of those days.
Good luck and be safe!
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

I had planned on going Saturday but as usual my work schedule had other ideas.
I'm in Cedar Park and will have a couple of weeks off starting around the 20th of this month so if you want someone to go btb with I'll be able to make plans for that no problem.
I've been waiting on the weather like most of us so I'm eager to get the heck out there and fire up the fish smoker again for the first time this year.
GregO722

Post by GregO722 »

I'm in Cedar Park as well. I'm always looking for the chance to go, but it can be difficult with a wife and kid. (well the wife makes it difficult)
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Sorry guys that I had to change things. I only had safety in mind when making the changes. Both days are doable but Sunday looks so much better.
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

No need to apologize yakety yak, rescheduling is something we all can relate with lol.
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

Hey Greg, I know exactly what you are talking about with a family. Now I'm wondering if we live in the same neighborhood. I'm next to Leander high been at this place for 10yrs now.
My schedule is 1month on at work and 2weeks off usually. I'm sure we can make something work out so we can hit the surf. I'll be ready
to go in about 2-3wks
sanantonioyak

Post by sanantonioyak »

I might be I was planning to go down sat AM and fish for trout and redfish in the Light house lakes area. But the Mayan rigs might be in my future. Im in san Antonio. Call me 210-385-7114 Terry
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

For any of you going out tomorrow, I fished BHP rigs today and the kings were all deep. Every rig has lots of blue runners around, so catch one and stick it on a wire rig with a weight. Drift it around the rigs 20-30 feet down and the kings will find it.

Everyone else was trolling shallow and striking out. I landed six and lost four more by going deep.

Good luck tomorrow, and take lots of fluids. It's HOT out there!
GregO722

Post by GregO722 »

I made it out on Saturday. The temp was hot, the fishing was not too bad. I kept 2 kings and one Spanish. The Spanish was just beyond the breakers, and if I was not so tired, I would have stuck around for more of them.
I missed the first fish of the day, most like the largest. I did not have wire in from of my front hook, and as soon as I put pressure on, he cut the line. This all after a really long and fast run. Just after that I caught my first one on a weighted ribbon, small king just over 30 inches. A few hours later I caught a bigger king, just over 40 inches. the Spanish was caught as I was returning to the beach. All said and done, only minor injuries, :) , lots of fun, and a lots of lessons learned. I did capture some video, but for the most part the camera batteries were dead during the good action.

SAYak(Terry), I'm sorry that I missed your message to call you. I am glad that we did have that chance meeting on the beach. Hopefully we can meet up next time for some BTB action.

It's a little late to pass on this bit of wisdom, but the Professor is correct, all fish were caught on weighted ribbon fish, all ribbon fish on the surface were untouched.
GregO722

Post by GregO722 »

Longliner wrote:Hey Greg, I know exactly what you are talking about with a family. Now I'm wondering if we live in the same neighborhood. I'm next to Leander high been at this place for 10yrs now.
My schedule is 1month on at work and 2weeks off usually. I'm sure we can make something work out so we can hit the surf. I'll be ready
to go in about 2-3wks
I'm in the Lakeline Oaks area, near Lakeline and Cypress blvd. My schedule is not as predicable as yours, but I'm always trying to find the time to go. The wife has just about every weekend planned with vacation time or other activities, so I may have to try for a random weekday. Let me know if you are planning to go, and I'll try to join you.