Taking the new kayak offshore

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Taking the new kayak offshore

Post by Prof. Salt »

My Stealth 555 finally came in, and I had a chance to take it out for a shake-down paddle. I wanted to get used to how it all worked under choppy conditions, but I didn't plan on the haze dropping down to become fog. I did discover that the boat has a wet ride but is very comfortable in the chop. It does not head over the waves, but easily pokes a hole in them. That makes it easy until the wave slaps you in the face. If I keep the speed up, I was able to push on through pretty easily. I loaded five big 36-40" jacks into the hold before I headed in. My three rods and hat fit inside too and there was room for at least one more jack, but I didn't want to push my luck too much. With everything stored internally I had a clean deck as I headed in. My fear with a heavy boat was riding a wave and digging the nose into the sand, resulting in a big wreck and possibly breaking the new boat. I was relieved to see that it was easily controlled and the weight actually slowed down the speed that the boat reacted to changes. It resulted in a comfortable ride even in big churning surf.

*I wouldn't have launched if it was that foggy at the start, but I paddled through the surf with about a mile of visibility. That fell off dramatically as I paddled (you don't notice it slowly changing) and by the time I reached the close rig it was down to a couple hundred feet. I came back near the surf and fished a while. I hit the beach two miles south of my truck; it was a long paddle/walk back, but I was safely on the sand again so no harm done. This time of year fog can close in so be aware and pay attention to your surroundings. I knew it was possible and used the wave and wind direction to get back to the island.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxNf5TXOCFM&t=3s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxNf5TXOCFM&t=3s

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxNf5TXOCFM&t=3s[/youtube]
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Taking the new kayak offshore

Post by kickingback »

:clap: Thanks for the info on the new kayak Glen! I saw your video yesterday and was curious to how it rode. That thing is a nice ride for sure!
hobie1

Post by hobie1 »

Nice report as always. Thanks. You kept the 4 Jack's? I know they will catch sharks, do they make good cut bait for most fish?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

There were actually five jacks, and I trade them for store credit at Roy's. They sell them as shark bait and I get credit to buy more gear. Win-win!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

he makes it look easy - I love that last strike.
hobie1

Post by hobie1 »

Sweet.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Living Waters
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: John 3:16, 1Corinthians 7:31, Proverbs 3:5-6, Matthew 4:19

Post by Living Waters »

Nice new yak Glen, when you place your fish inside the hull, do you have a fish bag in there or is it just the empty hull the fish is going in?
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Living Waters wrote:Nice new yak Glen, when you place your fish inside the hull, do you have a fish bag in there or is it just the empty hull the fish is going in?
Thanks Daniel. That day I just had an empty box that the fish went into. It's separate from the outer hull, and frozen water bottles will last for hours in there, so during the hot part of the year I will be running frozen bottles to keep the fish cool. Tod has been doing that for a year, and his fish stay in good shape.
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

Thanks for the video Prof! I was biting my nails waiting! Having salt withdrawal, freshwater will never be the same!
Brucell

Post by Brucell »

GLEN, I saw you have taken your new Kayak into the bay. How do you like fishing out of it in skinny water?
Nice video, keep them coming.
yangjianhunt

Post by yangjianhunt »

Man this is a hardcore btb yak for a hardcore btb kayak fisherman.
Now paddling the distance will be a lot quicker and funner.
I wish ACK would start dealing stealth kayaks here.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Brucell wrote:GLEN, I saw you have taken your new Kayak into the bay. How do you like fishing out of it in skinny water?
Nice video, keep them coming.
I have paddled in the bay with it, but the only bay fishing I've done has been from the Viking Reload. It's great in the shallows.

I did take the Stealth up the river to check on white bass to see if the run was still going on. That four mile run in relatively fast water was much easier, but once I got to my destination I got out to wade with the fly rod. The rudder sticks about six inches below the hull, so it's not really suited for the flats. I bought it for offshore use, and I'm keeping the Viking for everything else, so I have the best of both worlds. :D