Up McFadden?

Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Up McFadden?

Post by Boomy »

Has anybody been up McFadden recently? Planning a small camping trip for Thanksgiving weekend I want to know if the road is passable.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Up McFadden?

Post by bigfost »

Which end of McFaddin, and which road?

On the west end, as far as I know, you can get as far as the refuge gate, and maybe farther, depending on the tide. On the east end, you can get at least a mile or more from the beach entrance.

As always, you drive the road inside the refuge at the risk of a very expensive ticket.
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Boomy »

Thanks, Bigfost, my question is that at the gate conditions change. I was wondering if the first 100 yds past the gate are passable at the legal beach level. After that its normal beach driving. Im planning about going half way up to where theres an old pier legs heading out into the Gulf. (Photography)

bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

I haven't been that far in a long time, but from what I've heard, getting past the gate/sign is iffy. I would have a backup plan.
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Boomy »

Park manager got back to me. Said that the tides have been an isdue. People getting stuck and/or flooded up the beach.

I wanted to get a long exposure of this spot and another...Image

Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Boomy, the last time I went to HI (this past spring) I was only able to get half way down. The second half of HI to the entrance of McFadden I saw trucks getting stuck. My SUV is only 2wd so I didn't chance it. I stayed in that inlet half way down and launched my kayak. There were people camping there in that inlet.

Good luck if you go and enjoy your camping trip.