Sea Rim - Oct 11-12

JMiller

Sea Rim - Oct 11-12

Post by JMiller »

I'm planning a trip to Sea Rim on Oct 11th for bull reds. If they are biting good, I might go back again on Oct 12th. Anyone is welcome to join me. Conditions should be really good.
Rainmaker

Re: Sea Rim - Oct 11-12

Post by Rainmaker »

A buddy and I plan on fishing Sea Rim tomorrow morning at first light. I drive a Silver Ford Escape and have a green tandem Hobie. I was there a couple of weeks ago solo and cut mullet was the bait of choice. I caught 11 Bull Reds and 1 black tip.

Tomorrow promises to be a beautiful day with flat surf and cool temps!!
JMiller

Post by JMiller »

Cool, hopefully the water levels drop a little bit by tomorrow morning. Sea Rim State Park was reporting the water was up to the dunes and vegetation today.

I'll be in a black Tundra with mango WS 135 Ride. I usually park about 1/4 mile west of the public beach entrance. I'll try and get there around daylight.
Rainmaker

Post by Rainmaker »

Yep, that's where we normally launch from too. It looks like we have an out going tide until 11:11a. We should be good!
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

Good luck guys. Let us know how it goes.
JMiller

Post by JMiller »

It was a steady bite all morning. Lots of big gaftop but I managed to land 21 reds from 7:45 am to 1 pm. Ran out of bait and left them biting. About 8-10 feet of water. Winds picked up and got a little bumpy out there. I'll post some pics later tonight. I'm worn out.
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

Sweet! Congrats!

Keep posting up when you're going. I'll meet up with you out there if the conditions suit me.

I've got enough years on the water that I pretty much stick to primo conditions. LOL

Just curious, where are you getting your bait?
JMiller

Post by JMiller »

Sea Pony, but it's hit or miss with mullet because they must be 12" or less this time of the year.
Rainmaker

Post by Rainmaker »

Jamison it was nice to meet you. Well, you had a fantastic of a day! We caught 15 BR and 4 sharks. The bite was consistent all day and we stopped around 2:00. I wish we could have stayed longer but had to get back to h-town. It was a great day of fishing!!
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

JMiller wrote:Sea Pony, but it's hit or miss with mullet because they must be 12" or less this time of the year.
Thanks. I didn't know you were coming from that directions. I live in Wildwood, so going to Winnie when I fish SR is not feasable. That's one reason I normally fish HI now.

If you want to drive into Pt Arthur, Maries seafood usually has live crabs for a good price.
JMiller

Post by JMiller »

Rainmaker wrote:Jamison it was nice to meet you. Well, you had a fantastic of a day! We caught 15 BR and 4 sharks. The bite was consistent all day and we stopped around 2:00. I wish we could have stayed longer but had to get back to h-town. It was a great day of fishing!!
It was nice meeting y'all as well. Btw, my name is Jantzen :D

Were the sharks big or small? I caught a few as well, but they were all under 3 feet.
bigfost wrote:
JMiller wrote:Sea Pony, but it's hit or miss with mullet because they must be 12" or less this time of the year.
Thanks. I didn't know you were coming from that directions. I live in Wildwood, so going to Winnie when I fish SR is not feasable. That's one reason I normally fish HI now.

If you want to drive into Pt Arthur, Maries seafood usually has live crabs for a good price.
Thanks for info. If we ever do a fishing trip to SR, I can pickup some mullet for you.
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

Thanks
Rainmaker

Post by Rainmaker »

Roger that Jantzen (aka the Bull Red Slayer)! All of our sharks we landed were under 3'. We had something big bite off our 80 lbs. leader and I'm guessing it was a larger shark.

Bigfost it was great fishing with you in the last couple of years. Its a shame to fish HI due to bait shop location. I much prefer the bite at Sea Rim. I would be more than happy to pickup some mullet at Sea Pony for you on future adventures. I hope to get out a couple more time in the next 2-4 weeks. I will posted up.
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

I remember you rainmaker. I've always thought BTB from a tandem kayak has to be a challenge for two people, but I know at least three pairs that do it.

Y'all keep posting up and we'll get together.

Overall, I think the fishing is better at SR, but since I moved to Wildwood, the drive to HI is much easier and prettier for me (pastures, woods and ricefields instead of Bmt and refineries LOL).
Rainmaker

Post by Rainmaker »

I enjoy the comradery of fishing in a tandem and YES it can get hectic when a triple hook-up happens. But, that's a darn good problem to solve!

Take care and hope to connect soon for a trip!!
Reef Donkey

Post by Reef Donkey »

Thanks for the report guys! Looks like yall hammered them!