Bait fish migration video ...finally

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Bait fish migration video ...finally

Post by Prof. Salt »

I only got a fraction of the fish on video, but I hope it's worth the time to watch. The GoPro 3 takes several seconds to fire up, and by the time I mess with it I could have some of the smaller fish in the boat ...so I turned it on for the fish that were taking a while to bring in. :D

Last edited by Prof. Salt on Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: Bait fish migration video ...finally

Post by Prof. Salt »

I used to know how to get a video screen on my posts ...what's changed? If any of you guys know how to make it work these days, let me know.

*Neve r mind, I had to make a correction on the video and the new link shows up as it should now!
Last edited by Prof. Salt on Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

It does it to me too Glenn. No worries. The links work fine!

Well done Sir! :clap:
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

Great video Prof......my phone does it for me but I use a Samsung s8 active
Czgrand

Post by Czgrand »

Prof Salt,
I have been watching your videos and wanted to ask you a few questions if I may? I am new to BTB fishing and just picked up my gear..........everything from rod/reel to VHF radio and flares.
My question is, I don't have anyone to go out with in the Freeport area, and have always fished the Bay on my own. I know you fish solo often, so as a new BTB fisherman, I planned to just get beyond the last breaker, and troll a while there always ensuring I can see the shore.
Would you advise against this?
Christopher
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I will chime in if you don't mind. Most kayakers that are fishing offshore alone now are ones that have been offshore MANY times with others before they ventured on their own.
I was the same. I had great people to teach me the "ropes". Once you know and understand and use safety at all times you will find it easy to go alone. Just be sure YOU know what you can and cannot handle. You are the only one you can count on out there alone and if you don't know yourself you will be in real trouble from the start.
It is ALWAYS best to go with someone. If you do go alone let others know where you are going, when you will come home, any routes you plan to take and a map of where you will be parking to locate your car. Have a UHF radio to call Coast Guard if needed and check all weather and tide forecasts UP TO THE LAST minute before going. Double check your kayak for leaks and safety gear as well and you should be fine.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Kickingback's safety advice is good, and I always have a "check in" person who knows they should hear from me by a certain time, and where to send authorities if I don't check in. If you find a good weather window, there are usually others chomping at the bit, wanting to get out there too. Posting an invitation on TKF or other fishing groups will usually result in others joining in, and that's a good thing.

The bottom line is if you go offshore solo it is all up to you, so constantly stay sober and alert. I am always watching my surroundings for dangers: sharks/a leaking hull/thunderstorms/fronts/changes in wind or wave patterns, etc. but I am also watching for the good stuff: fish feeding on the surface/birds working bait/floating junk that may hold good fish/color changes/whalesharks/manta rays and anything else interesting. The guys (solo or in a group) who get in trouble are usually not paying attention to their surroundings. Fishing the marsh and not paying attention results in inconvenience. Fishing offshore and not paying attention can ruin more than your day.

I don't want to overplay the dangers - yes they are real, but after several thousand miles paddled offshore (much of it solo), I find those dangers pretty manageable as long as I keep my senses sharp to avoid them.
spoon

Post by spoon »

great video Professor! and good info on what to and what not to expect.. Especially the part about the difference tween marsh and BTB! We have all been out there and seen how quick the weather can turn....it aint for the faint hearted!
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

Glenn, nice catch.
Always appreciate your amazing video and report. :)

CZgrand,
Started out by tagging along someone to show me the rope as well.
Also, Someone had given me wise words that still hold true until this day about kayak fishing.
A. You are the Captain
B. You are the navigator
C. You are the motor
D. You are the angler
E. You are the deck hand

Your plastic ship will be in deep trouble if one of the five team members doesn’t do his job.
So learn those five jobs well before going solo.
Brucell

Post by Brucell »

Another great video. I really like the narrating on this one.
On an off topic, have you had time to make the new titanium leader video?

Thanks, Brucell
Brucell

Post by Brucell »

Prof. Salt wrote:Kickingback's safety advice is good, and I always have a "check in" person who knows they should hear from me by a certain time, and where to send authorities if I don't check in. If you find a good weather window, there are usually others chomping at the bit, wanting to get out there too. Posting an invitation on TKF or other fishing groups will usually result in others joining in, and that's a good thing.

The bottom line is if you go offshore solo it is all up to you, so constantly stay sober and alert. I am always watching my surroundings for dangers: sharks/a leaking hull/thunderstorms/fronts/changes in wind or wave patterns, etc. but I am also watching for the good stuff: fish feeding on the surface/birds working bait/floating junk that may hold good fish/color changes/whalesharks/manta rays and anything else interesting. The guys (solo or in a group) who get in trouble are usually not paying attention to their surroundings. Fishing the marsh and not paying attention results in inconvenience. Fishing offshore and not paying attention can ruin more than your day.

I don't want to overplay the dangers - yes they are real, but after several thousand miles paddled offshore (much of it solo), I find those dangers pretty manageable as long as I keep my senses sharp to avoid them.

Well said.
I would like to add a safety tool that I use for my wife's piece of mind. I downloaded the Coast Guard app. It has a feature that allows you email (anyone's email) your float plan. Heaven forbid, you need to alert the authorities, you can forward the email to them. The email contains all the pertinent information. Handy tool.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Brucell wrote: On an off topic, have you had time to make the new titanium leader video?

Thanks, Brucell
I have the photos and most of the video shot, but I’m still putting it together. I’m heading home now after a week long elk hunt and I’ll try to get it knocked out soon.
Brucell

Post by Brucell »

Great, Looking forward to it.

Thank you.