Bait Migration Madness

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Bait Migration Madness

Post by Prof. Salt »

For those of you wondering what the Corpus area offshore bite is doing lately...

Last Friday it was bananas. Thunderstorms were around before daylight, and a few slow movers popped up during the day that had to be watched closely. Despite the interesting skies I had diving birds, fish flying out of the water, a wide variety of predators willing to bite any lure I put in the water; basically the kind of day we dream about. I didn't have room to put kings on board, so they all got released. I caught 29 big Spanish (of course I only kept the 15 fish limit) but all the ones that rode in the boat measured 26-31 inches with five of the Smacks going 30" or longer! I caught two huge jacks on the tiny spinning reel, a cobia (just under legal size) four big bluefish and five bonito. I was forced to head in when I literally ran out of places to put the fish. I ran the surf with the front hatch full, the chill pod full and three fish stuffed under my legs. By mid-day many of the birds that had been flying above the constant mayhem were laying on the surface of the water, looking at each other like "What, I'm too full to fly." :D

Video will be coming soon, stay tuned.

boricualouie

Re: Bait Migration Madness

Post by boricualouie »

OMG! That's one hell of a day Professor! I hope to have a day like that one of these days :)
Good job.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

:clap: Congratulations on a fine day of catching Glenn! :clap:

I was thinking of the weight while reading and you added that you made the surf ride no worries! You are a machine!!
How much do you think all them fished weighed? Wow. So cool!
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Weight wasn't the issue this time, it was the space all those Spanish took up! I could have probably carried another 30 lbs or so before it would feel tippy. I once carried a dozen bonito and half a dozen jacks with a limit of kings too. That was heavy, but with nice surf even that wasn't a problem. If the surf had been running three feet it might ave been different... thankfully I had nice conditions.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Can you say "Awesome"! :mrgreen:
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

0U812 wrote:Nice. :clap: Question. What do you do with that many fish? Feed the hungry or stack em up in freezer?
The jack, bluefish and bonito went to a sharkathon friend. All the Spanish went to my administrative assistant. She loves them and shares with her family. I came home with an empty cooler :D
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Blackwater.
Dues all paid up when you get there. I've been in blackwater in the surf twice, and more often at the fall jetties.
spoon

Post by spoon »

Glenn, awesome day as usual! Where is the video ??? We are all waiting.... on the other side of the coin.. that one pic with the storm in the background makes me nervous just looking at it!

also.. after further looking at your pics.. do you have all your rods strapped to one float? sorta looked like that.. I think I like that idea better than strapping all the rods to different areas of my yak.. seems like they always getting in the way...
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

The rain behind me as I'm holding the jack was 3-4 miles offshore and running North. It never thundered or got closer, just worked to the North. I was glad I didn't head to the corpus area rigs that day, everything moved that way and developed up there.

I keep the right side rods leashed to the right support for my seat. The left side rods are clipped to the left side of my seat. it keeps them "mostly" out of the way but knowing that I get them ripped from my hands once in a while, I will put up with the inconvenience.

Oh, and the video is FINALLY cooked and up on a new post. Only having one GoPro, with no audio, reqires that I make up a voice-over track. That took me several days to find the time (and a quiet house) to finish.
Reef Donkey

Post by Reef Donkey »

Thanks for the report Professor :clap: . Been wondering how the fishing has been lately.
Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

Reef Donkey wrote:
Hey, I think you're infringing on my username trademark! :wink: :lol: