MP rigs Saturday (8th)?? Moved to another venue..

Heatstroke

MP rigs Saturday (8th)?? Moved to another venue..

Post by Heatstroke »

I'll be there around 7am if anyone wishes to join..
Last edited by Heatstroke on Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: MP rigs Saturday (8th)??

Post by kickingback »

Be careful! Good luck!
I Would but I don't like the storms down there. Too finicky with lightning and rain. I got caught under the big rig with a water spout formed 1/4 mile away. I was pedaling in place for a good 15 minutes trying to fight the wind, waves and rain still coming through holy platform. Put in call to coast guard just in case but called them back when the spout dissipated 1/8 mile away.
I always carry my radio especially alone.
I gonna wait for the week of the 17th - 20th. Magic Seaweed has breakers at 1' or less on the 18th.
Heatstroke

Post by Heatstroke »

kickingback wrote:Be careful! Good luck!
I Would but I don't like the storms down there. Too finicky with lightning and rain. I got caught under the big rig with a water spout formed 1/4 mile away. I was pedaling in place for a good 15 minutes trying to fight the wind, waves and rain still coming through holy platform. Put in call to coast guard just in case but called them back when the spout dissipated 1/8 mile away.
I always carry my radio especially alone.
I gonna wait for the week of the 17th - 20th. Magic Seaweed has breakers at 1' or less on the 18th.
I'm headed back to the normal grind Sunday morning and was hoping for one more shot at the rigs while I'm here. If it happens, it happens. If it don't, it don't. What's another years wait anyways???
prolog22

Post by prolog22 »

Whaterspouts at July the 7 th?
I was wondering how a bunch of fellow kayakers past the breakers managed this situation..
I made a few shots of spouts from beach and it did not look good..
Attachments
spout2.jpg
spout1.jpg
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Yep, those damn things are intimidating for sure and even more so when you are on the water next to a big rig of metal in a flimsy breakable kayak being thrown around in the wind and waves waiting to hit the rig at anytime unless you physically push yourself to stay protected.
It was hairy! It did not call for thunder storms and the winds were forecasted low but did call for a bit of rain. It didn't say anything about water spouts. :lol:
Those things form easily down there offshore it seems to me now as others have experienced it.
prolog22

Post by prolog22 »

I am pretty sure if get caught by this thing in kayak it would have blown away my glasses and the trip would be ruined.. :D
On a serious side, there were two of them, the first one died pretty close to a rig, if it did not, I think the coast guard would have been busy ...
Forecast was good for that day it was perfectly nice weather after 12 pm.
Heatstroke

Re: MP rigs Saturday (8th)?? Moved to another venue..

Post by Heatstroke »

MP is not in the cards for me anymore.