Wire Size?

Tagdog

Wire Size?

Post by Tagdog »

So ever since I started going BTP about 6-7 years ago I have been using 40 lb Malin wire for my KIngfish rigs and lures. All in all I have been fairly happy with that size. I can catch several kings on one rig. The 40 lb wire is easy to straighten. But, on real clear days I wonder if I am missing some strikes as it is more visible. I am curious what others are using? Thinner wire might be less visible but it will also break easier.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Wire Size?

Post by kickingback »

Glenn has fished for kings so long and has a tried and true system...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t82a8-iUXg

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t82a8-iUXg[/youtube]

Can't get it to show in post...sorry. How do you insert video with preview Glenn?
Endo

Post by Endo »

I switched over to the nickle-titanium wire, from malin a couple seasons ago and love the stuff. Much more pliable and kink resistant than malin wire. I can catch many more fish on a NiTi leader.

I use the 35 lb variety. Learning to tie knots in the stuff will be a learning curve and the knots will not be near as pretty as a nice haywire twist. But the durability and performance more than makes up for it IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/Aquateko-Knot-Ki ... th=1&psc=1

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

I have also taken to NiTi wire, at least for the leading section of the king rig. I use 35lb K2K between the swivel and J hook, but 125lb SS wire between the hooks. Last year I hooked the largest kingfish I have ever seen. It was a foot longer than anything I have ever landed and for over 10 minutes I could not lift it. All I could do was watch as she chewed on the 69lb SS wire until she finally chewed through it. She wouldn't do that with 125lb wire. Fish don't seem to mind heavy wire on the back half of the rig because it blends in with the baitfish.
Tagdog

Post by Tagdog »

What about lures ? Are you using NiTi on them or SS wire? I will order some NiTi . Do you tie it like floro? I like the improved Clinch.
Last edited by Tagdog on Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Endo

Post by Endo »

I believe the suggested knot types to use are the loop knot and the clinch knot. I use both. Loop knots for the hooks and clinch knot at swivel.

Yes, I use NiTi on all my lures and seems to allow more action on the lure due to its flexibility.

Last I checked, there is not really a lot of info out there or videos on how to use and tie the stuff. Once you tie a knot in it, you will look at it and think no way that will hold. It looks like it will unravel, but it won't if done right.

Tagdog

Post by Tagdog »

thanks for that. I will give this a try. I have been using wind on leaders and split rings for casting and split rings for my floro. I think I can do that and not have to tie the loop knot.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Endo you're doing exactly what I do. After much experimentation, I realized that those two unattractive knots are the best, and they really do work reliably. I've also looked for videos without luck ...so I've got a video in progress showing how to tie both knots.
joliver

Post by joliver »

So, an updated version of this https://youtu.be/3t82a8-iUXg ?
I'm sure there have been many iterations, over the last six years. Looking forward to this, for sure.
"Coming to a theatre near you"....???
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I saw about three videos on tying with titanium and in each one they talk about how hard it is to tie and then do it fast or hide it away so you cannot see how they actually make the figure 8 loop to tighten. One of them even tied the figure 8 with wire wrong.
I did find a good video on tying the figure 8 knot which is the same knot you use for the wire. I place a small heat shrink tube on before closing knots on both ends.

Here is the video that helped me tie it better...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzekQMqSsl4