Big shark

Killerbee

Big shark

Post by Killerbee »

I am going to get one eventually. I keep putting out big baits when I can get them. A big tiger or bull would be awesome. A friend and I got a 8ft bull last yr. I want a larger one!
Killerbee

Re: Big shark

Post by Killerbee »

If anyone has any tips or tactics let me know!
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

Are you talking about land based from the beach or from the kayak?
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Killerbee wrote:If anyone has any tips or tactics let me know!
Aim for maco shark -- they are fast and strong. Go offshore, find one, give it big chunk of tuna -- it'll keep you occupied for few hours. :)
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

From a yak.
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

LOOKN4REDS wrote:Are you talking about land based from the beach or from the kayak?
I do a little landbased stuff but I want one from a yak.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

If you want to catch a good sized shark from your Kayak go to Port Author and head to Sea Rim Park. Get yourself some horse mullet or crabs. Cut the mullet in two or three pieces. Put on a pre-rigged hooks for catching bull reds and sharks and hang on!
There are MANY posts on how to fish and catch fish there!
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... s#p2265415
IrishSharker

Post by IrishSharker »

It’s all about using the bait you catch out there. Take a big whole bluefish or fresh Bonita and hang it out there on some lighter wire I bet you’ll find something. It’s crazy how different a shark will react to cut up Bonita compared to mullet or other fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

My two largest, an 8ft hammerhead and a 7ft+ blacktip, both came on a 3in long chunk of mullet on the bottom.

Out of a kayak, it's more about location than what type of bait. Anywhere along Bolivar Peninsula has great shark fishing. Just about any finfish will work for bait, as will ray. Fish on the bottom and under a float. Some days they want it high, some days low.

Most of the shark species will be migrating out soon, but the bulls should stick around until November, if the water stays warm enough.
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

IrishSharker wrote:It’s all about using the bait you catch out there. Take a big whole bluefish or fresh Bonita and hang it out there on some lighter wire I bet you’ll find something. It’s crazy how different a shark will react to cut up Bonita compared to mullet or other fish.

I have used fresh jack several times out there. I have not been lucky enough to get a bonita but will keep it in mind. Thanks
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

bigfost wrote:My two largest, an 8ft hammerhead and a 7ft+ blacktip, both came on a 3in long chunk of mullet on the bottom.

Out of a kayak, it's more about location than what type of bait. Anywhere along Bolivar Peninsula has great shark fishing. Just about any finfish will work for bait, as will ray. Fish on the bottom and under a float. Some days they want it high, some days low.

Most of the shark species will be migrating out soon, but the bulls should stick around until November, if the water stays warm enough.
I have caught some pretty good blacktip on ladyfish and Jack's. I will keep throwing g the kitchen sink at them.
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

We caught that big bull on a big piece of jack if I remember correctly.
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

bigfost wrote:My two largest, an 8ft hammerhead and a 7ft+ blacktip, both came on a 3in long chunk of mullet on the bottom.

Thanks for the advice!
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

kickingback wrote:If you want to catch a good sized shark from your Kayak go to Port Author and head to Sea Rim Park. Get yourself some horse mullet or crabs. Cut the mullet in two or three pieces. Put on a pre-rigged hooks for catching bull reds and sharks and hang on!
There are MANY posts on how to fish and catch fish there!
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... s#p2265415
Thanks for posting and the advice!
IrishSharker

Post by IrishSharker »

I agree If the fish is there and hungry and the baits fresh, they will most likely eat it. I was on the first bar the other day and was watching a few 2ft Atlantic sharpnose cruising so I was tossing them small pieces of mullet just to watch em feed. They were eating it ok I ran out so I walked to the truck and chunked up a Bonita I just caught to see how they reacted. Once the small piece hit the water they went into a fenzy and had 15-20 of the lil turds going crazy over the bobo. I do think sharks can have more preferences than people realize and can be quite picky. On another note jacks hard to beat especially fresh it’s just not your turn yet lol and besides you’ve caught tarpon out of the yak.... heck with the sharks lol

Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

IrishSharker wrote:I agree If the fish is there and hungry and the baits fresh, they will most likely eat it. I was on the first bar the other day and was watching a few 2ft Atlantic sharpnose cruising so I was tossing them small pieces of mullet just to watch em feed. They were eating it ok I ran out so I walked to the truck and chunked up a Bonita I just caught to see how they reacted. Once the small piece hit the water they went into a fenzy and had 15-20 of the lil turds going crazy over the bobo. I do think sharks can have more preferences than people realize and can be quite picky. On another note jacks hard to beat especially fresh it’s just not your turn yet lol and besides you’ve caught tarpon out of the yak.... heck with the sharks lol

Lol....guess you are right. I will keep putting out big baits.
prolog22

Post by prolog22 »

Thick bleeding hardhead free-lined worked great for me (8+ ft bull). Cobias like them too.
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Boomy »

All I ever used was 1/2 of a horse mullet and the prefer the head side. ..

https://youtu.be/YuEGVaSNwi0

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk