July 25th @ MP Rigs

Bourn Fisher83

July 25th @ MP Rigs

Post by Bourn Fisher83 »

Hey Everyone. July was a great month indeed. Went offshore for my second time and caught the first kings of my life! Definitely a heavier dose of adrenaline compared to bay fishing. I got to marker 80 just in time to see the other kayakers disappearing into the fog....I had to drive over from S.A. but well worth it.

I had no problem getting through the breakers, but I went for a swim anyway since I forgot to release my rudder bungee. Hopefully a lesson learned. It was very foggy that morning. I just listened for the rig and headed that way. Strangely, as I approached the first rig I could hear some of the other kayakers talking before I could actually see the rig itself.

I went straight past to the second rig and caught my first king ever within 45 seconds of being there. I went on to hook up with several others and managed a limit of smaller kings. Also, I ate my first kingfish later that night and was very pleased with the result as well. I tried for about 10 minutes, unsuccessfully, to jig up some snapper or whatever else might be on the bottom before heading back in. I still have so much to learn, but I am looking forward to that process.

Just before the breakers I came upon some bait at the surface trying to escape the hungry mouths of some Spanish. I followed and tossed in a few times and added a few Spanish to my bag.

Special thanks to fellow kayaker Kicking Back who was heading in about that time and was nice enough to snap a few pics of my first kingfish. As I loaded up, the other kayakers who went out that day came in loaded down with a beautiful 56 in king...something to look forward to. I plan to post video as well as soon as I get better at putting it together. Hope to see you guys out there in the future!
Attachments
Add description
Add description
Add description
Add description
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: July 25th @ MP Rigs

Post by kickingback »

:clap: Awesome report! Glad to meet and talk to you that day! It was a great day on the water for sure!
Thanks for posting your catches for all!
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Nice job! Congrats on some beautiful fish.
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

Congrats!
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Is that a Hobie Revo 16? If so, I bet it was fast getting out there.
Bourn Fisher83

Post by Bourn Fisher83 »

It is a revo...my first kayak was an ascend 12. The revo 16 is a jet engine compared to that but my ascend can carry a ton of gear. I use the ascend as a river kayak now
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

Great report. Nice to see the Kings.