PINS Trip - 7-17 thru 7-21

Cudadude

PINS Trip - 7-17 thru 7-21

Post by Cudadude »

Greetings to all, well I finally got out on some salt the 17th thru the 21nd with my son. It was his 2nd time fishing BTB and his first time catching Kings.
Locations 5.5 miles down PINS and out to the rigs from that marker, Not sure what everyone calls these rigs, but I call it the honey hole. It never fails to produce snapper, Kings and many other species. This trip we targeted the Kings. And slammed them, and as the week progressed, the surf and swells got better.
Tuesday we arrived a bit late to get out and decided to set up camp for the week long fishing trip. Wednesday we headed out to the rigs and faced surf rolling close together and at 2 to 2.5 high and the sells all the way to the rig was hitting 2-3ft. Not too bad for the first day in, but it was a work out for my son and I. Mainly because we haven’t seen salt in 6 months. It was a bit harder for my son paddling the Santa Cruz G2 and I was peddling the G2. A big difference getting out with the G2 supporting the mirage drive.
I was able to hook up on four and landed one large King, the other three broke off. Whatever the three were they hit hard. Once back I re-spooled all reels to 40 mono. After trolling for about 4 hours we called it a day and headed back.
Thursday the surf was too high and hitting close together making it too hard to get out so we opted out of hitting the rigs and went to the jetty close to Bob Hall pier and went out about a mile and didn’t get one hit. Hitting this jetty was our first time and looked great, and I’m thinking we should have setup for red between the jetty and ball haul.
Friday we headed back out to the rigs from camp and got into the kings hot and heavy. I ended up with four hookups and landed four. Not sure on the hook up count my son got but he got two to the yak and was totally excited. I got more out of the excitement he was having catching the kings than myself. There’s nothing that’s more of a blessing than seeing your own kids get on the salt monsters. Key words (life time memories). In closing, props out to Santa cruz for a great design in kayaks and if you don’t already know Santa Cruz is under new ownership and working on some crazy mods to the current G2 design. Check them out. http://www.santacruzkayaks.com
Enjoy the pics

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: PINS Trip - 7-17 thru 7-21

Post by Prof. Salt »

Good to see you guys slamming some kings! Good memories and nice fish.
Cudadude

Post by Cudadude »

Hey Glenn, to bad we couldn't have connected and hit these kings together. On sept 26th thru 29th. i'll be heading back down again., and would be nice to line up a fish day with ya.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Excellent! Some nice kings there! I wish I had a 4-wheel to get down to PINS. Someday! Thanks for sharing!
Cudadude

Post by Cudadude »

From what I was told when I was there you can make it all the way to 50 mile mark in two wheel. I did not personally check that out..lol I had fishing in mind.
I do know at the 6 mile mark there was plenty of cars going by.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

I was on PINS last weekend, it really was a great day to be out there. Glad you did so well!

Driving was great at low tide but at the 20s and 30s there are some soft patches where 4x4 helps out. There usually isn't a problem getting to the 5 mile marker in 2wd, and if there is, it's a big patch of soft sand right at the entrance to the beach.

As far as going all the way down in 2wd, I wouldn't attempt it alone. Weather, tides, and conditions can change and I wouldn't want to be in a situation where I needed to leave the beach ASAP and the tide wasn't right. And then there are the certain individuals who will set up their vehicles, camp chairs, and rods all along the driveable low-tide areas and force you up and into the soft stuff.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

I was leaving on Friday when you guys were coming back on to the beach. I saw the Raptors as we were heading back. We had the trailer with a red Outback and a green Native on it. Glad to hear you guys got on some great fish!!
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

Congrats...looks like a great haul!
Cudadude

Post by Cudadude »

Yakety_Yak wrote:I was leaving on Friday when you guys were coming back on to the beach. I saw the Raptors as we were heading back. We had the trailer with a red Outback and a green Native on it. Glad to hear you guys got on some great fish!!
Did you do any good? and yes I do remember passing you, and nice setup by the way.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Cudadude wrote:
Yakety_Yak wrote:I was leaving on Friday when you guys were coming back on to the beach. I saw the Raptors as we were heading back. We had the trailer with a red Outback and a green Native on it. Glad to hear you guys got on some great fish!!
Did you do any good? and yes I do remember passing you, and nice setup by the way.

Our trip was very successful! I just got back from fishing there this past weekend again. It's always nice to visit PINS and fish it. The water was awesome and the visibility was around 20 ft. Conditions were excellent!!