Yesterday was pretty fantastic

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Yesterday was pretty fantastic

Post by Prof. Salt »

I was needing some quiet time, so I headed out solo to some local rigs. Powerboaters were around, but they mostly tied up and just sat, wasting their time hoping for big snapper. I was happy to stay a hundred yards away and demonstrate how to perform a proper meat-haul. After 18 kings, a big cobia lost to the rig (late in the fight when my hopes were high, lol), and a big jack that ripped the wire right out of the lure, I headed home low on water but tired and happy. I hope the others who got out yesterday had similar results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pAwLCZxBeM

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Yesterday was pretty fantastic

Post by kickingback »

Prof Salt the fishing machine! :clap:

Well done and thanks again for sharing how it's done Glenn! I learn more from your videos than from any other videos I have seen!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Hey Glen, how deep are they biting? 10z weight too much or not enough? Rigged with 1/2 oz and was wondering with the current conditions.
Thanks!
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

I didn't take the fish finder this time, but they're usually staged 18-24 feet down and looking up during the sunny part of the day. They will sometimes come right to the surface, but your odds of a bite go up as you get your bait closer to the school. a half ounce weight works well, you just have to slow down to get it deeper. I use anywhere from 1/2 to 2 ounces depending on what's within reach when I make wire rigs. You could go with 3 ounces, but it would take more speed to keep them near the surface when fish are high in the water column.

All I used for years was 1/2 ounce and it worked well. I have branched out to other weights, looking for the best answer but for now it doesn't seem to make that much difference.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Awesome information Professor! Thanks!
Gonna be down in your neck of the woods on Wed and Thu marker 80. See you out there if go!