Setting up a kayak for fishing offshore

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Setting up a kayak for fishing offshore

Post by Prof. Salt »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/X5bGxdIoOOo[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/X5bGxdIoOOo

I finally got around to making the video, lol. If you're interested in paddling or pedaling offshore, this is a decent idea of what you might find handy while out there. I forgot to add a vhf, but the rest is pretty accurate.
Killerbee

Re: Setting up a kayak for fishing offshore

Post by Killerbee »

Thanks Prof!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I swear you have a hidden hatch somewhere else that you are not showing us because you catch so dang many I have always wondered where you were stowing them!!!
:clap: :clap:
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Looks like a natural progression over the years from fishing offshore.
There is no going back for something when 5 miles offshore. Much to learn from this video. Too bad the cat was not impressed.
Was a lot of fun when I used to fish offshore from a kayak. Its not for everyone but from those that do its a tight knit group willing to help each other.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Great video. I eventually want to try btb at least once before I'm too old (with someone who's done it of course). This is good visual info on what to take and how it sets up. I may look into the Vikings too now. I love how that front hatch is positioned and holds that large of a fish bag inside out of the way.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Try High Island for your first "offshore" launch and catch some nice bull reds and sharks. Then you will be sort of ready for the farther trips.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Good stuff Glenn!!
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: RE: Re: Setting up a kayak for fishing offshore

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

kickingback wrote:Try High Island for your first "offshore" launch and catch some nice bull reds and sharks. Then you will be sort of ready for the farther trips.
Why High Island KB? Closer rigs, calmer surf, deeper water close to shore? Just curious why it's better for 1st timer?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

I suspect high island has a higher percentage of calm days. Could be wrong but it has been my observation. Also, from the reports the reds are abundant closer to shore. I don't know anyone who fishes for reds in 12 to 20 feet of water down Corpus way. At least not from a kayak.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

As he said, it is usually a lot calmer beach launch. You only need be anywhere from 100-1000 yards from shore. No rigs unless you go 6 miles or more out. It is great for bull reds and sharks and the seas are calmer like he said above.
Lots of guys in here go. Just post up when you want to go and they will help and join you. They will tell you how to get bait in Winnie and get to the beach area. It's a great starter launch for anyone that wants to get their feet wet before heading to the rigs 2 miles out down in Corpus. Tight lines!
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Thanks guys.

As mentioned I forgot to show my vhf radio, and an EPIRB or PLB would also be a great addition for peace of mind. I do file a plan with others before I head out, especially if solo, but this video was simply how I lay out the kayak for the average trip offshore. If you're not competing in KW then the measuring board would not be needed. That would simplify fishing a great deal, but I'm just a knucklehead and dedicated to playing that game, lol.