This is the time of year we waited for...

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

This is the time of year we waited for...

Post by Prof. Salt »

...so get out there any way you can before it changes!

Yesterday at the BHP rigs visibility was around 50 feet, but with heavy boat traffic it was difficult to get the fish to bite. I hooked into 10 kings and managed to get five of them to the kayak. I didn't mind, it was a perfect day for paddling and I got in 17 miles before hitting the sand at 3:30. At one point I dropped a lure for live bait with my little spinner when I hooked what I believed to be a solid cobia. After a long fight that featured no long/fast runs but consistent thumping that felt just like a cobia, I finally caught sight of a nice shiny fish. Why you no run, silver bullet? I landed and kept the king because he got the hook in his gills and was bleeding heavily. I got some video of the fish with the little Sienna 2500 together. That was fun.

You know what else was cool? The views under the surface. Next trip I'm packing a mask and fins just so I can take a better look. Here are a couple of screenshots from the video so you can see for yourselves:

Killerbee

Re: This is the time of year we waited for...

Post by Killerbee »

Geeeezzzz Prof. You really know how to bum a guy out! I am stuck at work the next two weeks. JJ I hope you kill em and make some great videos for me to watch!
Last edited by Killerbee on Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

Good luck and safe paddling!
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

No cold water upwelling or suspected beach sea snot in those pictures. Nice going prof.
Wanna_Be_Yaker

Post by Wanna_Be_Yaker »

Laying in a tent at marker 80 on mustang island as I type this hope to have similar luck in a few hours, now if I can fall asleep on this sand...
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Simply beautiful Glenn! Those are the days I like to be on the water! Glad you had a great day out!
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

The downside is that power boaters are thick right now, and they don't have the nerve to charge farther offshore. We can still all play nice, but things do get more crowded. I tend to avoid the rigs where PBs are tied up or trolling, just because the engine noise affects the bite for larger fish in shallow water.