getting the facts straight... camping mayan princess

Wanna_Be_Yaker

getting the facts straight... camping mayan princess

Post by Wanna_Be_Yaker »

Howdy, me and a buddy are planning a trip down south around independence day, we have quite a bit of experience going BTB but i wanted to make sure i have my facts straight as far as camping on the beach goes..

the most desirable spot to launch straight to the rigs is mile marker 80 correct? can we tow a travel trailer here and drop it for the extent of our stay, or is it tent only?
where can we pick up a beach pass at (any gas station right??) they are 3 days only? or can you buy extended stay passes?
do you normally buy bait before each day at a local shop or is it to much of a hassle to make the trip day after day?

Finally if anybody has any tips on camping or fishing the rigs in general they will be appreciated, we have gone BTB quiet a few times out of Galveston but only managed big bull reds, and sharks up to about 4 feet (can we use the same tackle on kingfish?) plan to target just about everything that swims specifically kings and snapper & maybe a jack or 2.

thanks
Karyuu

Re: getting the facts straight... camping mayan princess

Post by Karyuu »

yes camping is allowed bring a light so people don't hit you at night, pass is good for 2 year, if you can catch shark with your gear you shouldn't have issue with kings, snapper etc.

July 4th will be busy filled with drunks on the beach. Some guy woke me up at night offering me shots...
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Check the Corpus Christie Mustang Island camping info website for details about camping between which beach markers and call if in doubt or ask when you buy your pass. I thought it was only good fora year, will have to check mine.
I've stayed over night a few times in my car only with my kayak on trailer connected. Never had problems as I Park with the sticker facing the "beach road" so anyone can see it without having to wake me.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

From my recollection, beach passes are good for one year (Jan to Dec).
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I have never seen any type of camper on the beach. Hate for you to bring one and get kicked off.
Karyuu

Post by Karyuu »

Tombo wrote:I have never seen any type of camper on the beach. Hate for you to bring one and get kicked off.
Have seen them out there, also think the stretch of beach doesn't require parking pass.
MustardHooks

Post by MustardHooks »

You can buy a beach pass from any of the gas stations on mustang island. It’s good for 2018. Your camper will be fine, park it close to the dunes so you’re not blocking the beach. You can get bait from cos-way or red dot on the way in, might as well stock up for the whole trip. Get some sabiki rigs for live bait. Jig them near the rig legs. For tackle, you’ll want some nickel-titanium or single strand to make leaders. 4/0 J hook and a treble stinger- there’s a thread somewhere here that goes into detail on that, might even be stickied.
Hope the weather cooperates, hasn’t been a decent window since Memorial Day weekend.
Wanna_Be_Yaker

Post by Wanna_Be_Yaker »

Hey thanks for the info guys we most likely buy a beach pass just because better safe than sorry for 12 bucks. I have the all the necessary stuff for building leaders thanks to Prof Salts you tube video. The weather as always is the deciding factor, but what app do yall use to check the surf, ive been using surf forecast. Again thanks for the help guys.
If anything i know yakety yaks bob haul pier group will be just down the road the next week.
Noeafpj9

Post by Noeafpj9 »

Check out magic sea weed app... it will have all the info you’re looking for as far as the surf goes... good luck out there and let us know what day you head out. I’ll be out there a little after Independence Day if weather permits.
Wanna_Be_Yaker

Post by Wanna_Be_Yaker »

Noeafpj9 wrote:Check out magic sea weed app... it will have all the info you’re looking for as far as the surf goes... good luck out there and let us know what day you head out. I’ll be out there a little after Independence Day if weather permits.
thanks got it downloaded, and for sure we are planning the 5th-8th as long as conditions are good, be in a lime green trident if you wanna launch with us.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Have fun down there and for sure let us know how the camping, fishing, etc. was. 8)
MontleyYak

Post by MontleyYak »

Have you guys finalized what day you guys are going. I wouldn’t mind meeting you guys there. Monday /Tuesday/ Wednesday looks lot better.
Wanna_Be_Yaker

Post by Wanna_Be_Yaker »

MontleyYak wrote:Have you guys finalized what day you guys are going. I wouldn’t mind meeting you guys there. Monday /Tuesday/ Wednesday looks lot better.
plan on getting there Thursday evening 7/5 and leaving Sunday evening 7/8, conditions throughout the weekend are looking good via iphone, but that may change. We will be camped out around beach marker 80, just look for a white gmc with and A&M sticker on it and 2 ocean kayak tridents... prolly launch 30ish minutes before sunlight as long as the surf is good
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

The Surf is looking very good for this weekend. And I have seen several motor homes and trailers out there. Just find a wider spot. Probably between 72 and 80 if i have my markers right
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

Actually I got the weekends mixed up. The surf is looking good for next weekend. This weekend looks a little rough
Karyuu

Post by Karyuu »

Saturday looks like good conditions for all day fishing.
MontleyYak

Post by MontleyYak »

Wanna_Be_Yaker wrote:
MontleyYak wrote:Have you guys finalized what day you guys are going. I wouldn’t mind meeting you guys there. Monday /Tuesday/ Wednesday looks lot better.
plan on getting there Thursday evening 7/5 and leaving Sunday evening 7/8, conditions throughout the weekend are looking good via iphone, but that may change. We will be camped out around beach marker 80, just look for a white gmc with and A&M sticker on it and 2 ocean kayak tridents... prolly launch 30ish minutes before sunlight as long as the surf is good
Ok I’ll head down on Friday and look for you guys there. I have a Green/ yellow Viking reload. I fish out Galveston a lot as well! I’ll send a PM with cell #.
Wanna_Be_Yaker

Post by Wanna_Be_Yaker »

MontleyYak wrote:
Ok I’ll head down on Friday and look for you guys there. I have a Green/ yellow Viking reload. I fish out Galveston a lot as well! I’ll send a PM with cell #.
buddy had an incident at work had to get a few stitches, so with this and the rain that is supposed to be rolling in we are gonna push it back a week and go next weekend instead hopefully everything will straighten itself out
MontleyYak

Post by MontleyYak »

No worries, hope your friend feels better and good luck next week