Abu 6500

Longliner

Abu 6500

Post by Longliner »

Question about spooling up the 6500 for off shore. Have it on a 6'6" mh 30# rod. Want to use it as a do everything rod, casting,trolling and live bait.
Thinking about 15# mono over 100 yrds of 30# braid. Trying to get as close to 300 yrds as possible. What do you guys think? I don't really want to use all braid.
I'm trying to get down to two rods for off shore one dedicated trolling rod and a do everything rod.
fishinmachine

Re: Abu 6500

Post by fishinmachine »

I like to tote a 6500C3 on a7' Shakespeare Ugly Stick BWC 1120 for a casting/bait rod. It's a ball bearing reel, so I always try to keep it dry and well-maintained. Because of the level-wind, it will become useless if it gets near any sand.

It will cast a spoon a country mile, though, and has a high gear ratio for speedy retrieves.

A sturdier, plain bearing reel with more line capacity would really be a better choice for regular duty off of the Texas coast, though.

I spool mine with 20 pound straight mono.
AcousticTennis
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Abu 6500

Post by AcousticTennis »

Should work just fine. I'd even roll with 30# mono on it. 300 yards is the standard for line offshore but honestly a fish will take MAYBE 50 yards and then you're going for a sleigh ride. I've used braid and found that if it gets hit hard enough youll sometimes have the knot kill itself. Mono gives you a bit of stretch to play with, also kings have surprisingly soft mouths so you can lower the risk of ripping out a hook.

No matter which route you go you should pick one or the other to do the complete spool. Last thing you want is to have a screamer on the line and you see your knot start to make its way out the guides. Then you'll be all kinds of worried about that knot holding up. It just limits the risks of losing the fish.