Galveston BTB

A6C5O7

Galveston BTB

Post by A6C5O7 »

Hello,

Ill be visiting the Galveston area off and on this year. I'm used to fishing the much deeper and colder waters of Alaska by kayak and I've done some in the Chesapeake. I'm not aksing for exact coordinates but I am looking for distances off shore that would be good starting points. My first visit will be in mid July. Is anything good worth targeting that time of the year? Also this is likely a huge shot in the dark, has anyone done any crabbing/shrimping in their kayaks in that area?

Thank you in advance for any help you provide!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Galveston BTB

Post by kickingback »

How far out you wanting to go? What kind of fish are you targeting?
PINS is usually best for offshore pelagics as the water is deeper closer to shore down there. There are oil rigs out of Glaveston but farther out. You can fish the Pleasure Pier if you want sheeps. Rigs for kings, jacks, ling and others. Beach for trout, reds flounder and whiting.
A6C5O7

Post by A6C5O7 »

With in reason. I have a Hobie AI so I'd say within 10 miles is a safe distance without getting too crazy.

Thank you for you information!

You'll have to telle what PINS means. I'm not familiar with that.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Corpus Christie (Padre Island National Seashore). Check out the BTB section for old posts on PINS and Corpus.

Going that far out I have not been in Galveston. There are a few on here that have and I hope they chime in.
Scrumptrelecent

Post by Scrumptrelecent »

You can always go out off of the Bolivar peninsula to catch sharks and bull reds. You don't have to go far off of the beach to get into them 100-200 yards. You will just need to find what depth of water they're in. I've caught reds all day in 8'-10' and moved out to around 14'-15' and the bite died. There is a platform pretty close to the bolivar peninsula beach(just north of the jetty) but it's usually picked over by boaters. I've had very successful days out there shark fishing though.
A6C5O7

Post by A6C5O7 »

Thank you very much for all the information!