Using snapper as bait

Karyuu

Using snapper as bait

Post by Karyuu »

So looking at the TPWD site, bait is defined as anything that does is not listed as game fish to lure fish.

Does that mean I can use undersized snappers a bait?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Using snapper as bait

Post by kickingback »

I take it as any game fish has to kept or released per regulations. If too small you must release. You cannot use it as bait just because it is undersized. Think of it like you keep it as bait in your cooler for the next troll and looky there, here comes the Coast Guard to do a spot inspection. You're busted. Same thing if you're trolling that said small game fish and you get checked and reel in your lines and lo and behold, you're busted.
I'm thinking bottom line. I don't use game fish for bait or I may get ticketed and/or fined.
Karyuu

Post by Karyuu »

kickingback wrote:I take it as any game fish has to kept or released per regulations. If too small you must release. You cannot use it as bait just because it is undersized. Think of it like you keep it as bait in your cooler for the next troll and looky there, here comes the Coast Guard to do a spot inspection. You're busted. Same thing if you're trolling that said small game fish and you get checked and reel in your lines and lo and behold, you're busted.
I'm thinking bottom line. I don't use game fish for bait or I may get ticketed and/or fined.
That is true, I was thinking about how no one bats an eye when you use undersized blue crab as bait.

Now, does that mean it would be totally ok to troll around with a 20 inch snapper behind your yak? :twisted:
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

A twelve inch red snapper is worth almost $500 to the state (maybe more now, this was 15 years ago), and they don't hesitate to fine you to the fullest extent allowed by law. I took some guests out once and someone tossed an undersized red snapper into the cooler when we were fishing from a powerboat. Nobody owned up to it, so I ate the ticket thinking it would just be $50 or somewhere close. That was an expensive mistake.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Karyuu wrote:That is true, I was thinking about how no one bats an eye when you use undersized blue crab as bait.
Quoting from Big Brother:
Except that not more than 5% by number, of undersized blue crabs may be possessed for bait purposes only and must be placed in a separate container
This phrase is confusing af, but bottomline is that using blue crab as bait is officially permitted.
AcousticTennis
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AcousticTennis »

You cannot use small snapper.

If its not listed as a gamefish then you can use it for bait BUT it has to be a legal size. Thats how I've understood it. Black drum and sheepies can be good lemon shark bait just have to be a legal size.

Not sure if red snapper have their own set of rules though.
MustardHooks

Post by MustardHooks »

If its not listed as a gamefish then you can use it for bait BUT it has to be a legal size.
If it’s not a gamefish, there aren’t size limits?
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Quite a few fish are not considered game fish but have size and bag restrictions. Mahi Mahi and sheephead aren't considered game fish.
MustardHooks

Post by MustardHooks »

What about baby mahi for personal aquariums?
AcousticTennis
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AcousticTennis »

No size limit or restrictions on mahi mahi so you can do whatever ya like if ya catch one.