Best handheld VHF?

Skipjack

Best handheld VHF?

Post by Skipjack »

Been out of BTB for about 6 years. Looking to renew my safety gear.

What is the best VHF handheld for BTB? Waterproof with long range.

Thanks in advance.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Best handheld VHF?

Post by kickingback »

Most people swear by, and I own one, the Standard Horizon 300 VHF radio. I have used mine 3 miles off shore and reached Coast Guard with no problems. I have not tried 5 miles or beyond but this radio is stout and I have dunked it so kany times and it keeps working well!!

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Horizon ... izon+hx300
Yakety_Yak

Re: Best handheld VHF?

Post by Yakety_Yak »

The three brands you will want to definitely look into are (in no particular order):

1) Standard Horizon
2) ICOM
3) Uniden

I would stay away from Cobra if possible. There are five things to look for in a good VHF radio (in no particular order):

1) water proof
2) floats
3) good range (minimum 5 mile radius)
4) has NOAA weather radio
5) good battery life

All three brands above will have these options depending on the type of VHF you will buy. Prices will vary. I, personally, have a Standard Horizon HX300 and it has all of the features above. Check everything out and do your homework to ensure you will buy the best radio for you. Even though many kayakers use their radios for talking, keep in mind that the main reason you are buying one is for an emergency. Do not settle on something if you can't find a decent price on the radios above. These radios can help save your life!

I hope this helps. Tight lines!! :)