New to Offshore

AcousticTennis
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

New to Offshore

Post by AcousticTennis »

Hello

I was thinking about going offshore soon. I'm new so would yall have any advice for me? I have a couple of different sets of numbers for reefs 2 miles off the beach that were given to me. I'd like to get out there for the first time.

Thank you
Karyuu

Re: New to Offshore

Post by Karyuu »

If you are starting off, go with a group just in case. First time I went out, I caught a shark and only had some pliers. Luckily I went out with a group and a guy help me out by lending me a dehooker tool, land my first fish BTBing.

Also leash it or lose is is kinda the something you learn, especially your paddle.

Expect to get your gear wet, so getting some decent reels is good.

Before you actually go fishing, see how your yak handles going in and out of the surf at 1.5-2.5 ft swells. Get some experience going out there and also get you some experience at performing self rescue maneuver.

Good luck man.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Do a search of these forums for "BTB first time" or "BTB gear" or "BTB safety".

Also go watch Youtube videos on BTB. Look for the same searches.

Best bet is to go with someone who has been. DO NOT GO ALONE if you have never gone BTB. That is the best advise I can give you besides having a handheld emergency radio.
bigtrout

Post by bigtrout »

Do these guys KNOW who you are.
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by SAHunter1983 »

I am dying here... RIP! AT = Tino Mendietta = Old Salt before most of us started paddling or posting on the forums...

#TROLLLEVELEXPERTImage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Noeafpj9

Post by Noeafpj9 »

Well why don’t you start off with where you are from and if you have any experience on a kayak. A lot of us don’t mind helping you out, we just need a window of when you can go and where you would like to go. If you look on the top topic, you will notice a bob hall announcement for first timers. I’m sure that would be a great day to get out and learn from a lot of individuals. But if that date doesn’t work or if you’re just eager to get out and fish, then maybe one of us can help you out with a trip to come along with us.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

bigtrout wrote:Do these guys KNOW who you are.
Mind readers are hard to find :wink: :roll:
AcousticTennis
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AcousticTennis »

LOL! To be fair I have been gone for a while. Good to know the new guys still get the safety talk. Seems really quiet in here compared to the old days. :dance:
Heatstroke

Post by Heatstroke »

:lol:
Karyuu

Post by Karyuu »

AcousticTennis wrote:LOL! To be fair I have been gone for a while. Good to know the new guys still get the safety talk. Seems really quiet in here compared to the old days. :dance:
Well, welcome back.

I think part of the issue is that experienced BTB seem to stick together with the same group. This prevents the community from grown when the activity is already something that not everyone can or want to do. There is a good group of people that want to experience BTB (looking at Yakety Yak's BTB event coming up) ,however just don't get the guidance or support to get them started.

Also from personal experience there are some people that feel like if you are using anything less than a Hobie or other name brand kayaks you are being an danger to yourself. Honestly I still paddle my perception pascador 14 when I want to get out on some rougher conditions and taking minimum gear because its better suited for those conditions than my jackson kraken.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I have to laugh at the people that know you...the title says "NEW" to Offshore. You laugh because you know him.

If anyone puts a title like that on a post you can bet the best people will try to help him.

I laugh at you because you know him and saw the title yet still laughed at those that tried to "help" and had to say something useless. :roll:
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Before anyone gets too upset at Tino, he was kidding around and expected all the OGs to chime in and give him a hard time. He's not the kind of guy to stir the pot or put others down

...well, he does that to me but usually only after I started it. :D
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

:P
AcousticTennis
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AcousticTennis »

LOL! Dont over think it, KB. Pretty much what Glenn said. Expected the OG's to chime in. The actual advice surprised me. Its nice to see though.

As far as the quiet board. A mix of drama and TKF facebook pushed away a lot of the original people. Some old guys left, the new guys tend to stick on facebook.

I'm part of that "stick with your own group" kind of people. Heres a bit of offshore lore for ya. At a certain point If I couldnt get Glenn to take a day off then I was going offshore alone. The sport blew up the next year and we would take people out. Teach them how to be safe and all that jazz. Then the sport really blew up! People were going offshore without a care for safety and getting themselves in bad spots. The option of a solo trip wasnt there anymore when you show up and there are a dozen other kayakers on a week day launching with you. It got to the point of running trips with only those you were good friends with that could handle themselves. Idk about the others but I got tired of babysitting people that didnt want to follow advice but relied on you're help when they were in a bad spot. You would just end up paddling boat to boat instead of actually fishing. Shouldnt work that way. So yea a bunch of us just stick with the homies now.

Also the whole reef and tournament drama stuff. 2012-2014 were crazy lmao.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

:lol: :lol: :lol: I TOTALLY understand!! :wink: :clap:
I look forward to fishing with you and Glenn someday!
Been doing a few trips lately if you see my posts trying to help others. Seems to be a trend that some are not bringing radios with them on 5 mile trips. I cannot recommend it more especially on the longer trips out.
Karyuu

Post by Karyuu »

I personally feel radios are over rates. I normally carry one but most times just use my phone for communication. This way I don't have to listen to the random foreign conversations that seem to always happen.

Nowadays most premium cellphones are water proof and you get pretty good signals if going to the rigs.

Only exception is going to PINS where there is no cell signal unless you got to the helipad. But at PINS you are so far away from anything what use is your 5 mile ranged radio?

I need to really spend some money and get one of those emergency personal locator beacon.
Last edited by Karyuu on Mon May 14, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I was talking about what you were talking about...newbies...I leave mine off unless someone says it's their first time...but then find out they didn't bring one... :lol:
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

AcousticTennis wrote:LOL! To be fair I have been gone for a while. Good to know the new guys still get the safety talk. Seems really quiet in here compared to the old days. :dance:
You know it, Tino. My fishing buddy and I, DandyDon, have been lamenting that fact. In fact, we were just talking about you and the controversy in which some alleged that you were taking pictures of the same trout to support one of your posts. As I recall, the "anal fin" was the issue that caused the most spillage of digital ink.

I hope you get out there and start posting again. Your trips to Baffin are good stuff.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

I gladly second & endorse what my buddy Shoffer said. Hope to see some more "down south" fishing reports from you, Acoustic Tennis. Tight lines!
AcousticTennis
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AcousticTennis »

LOL! Glad to see yall are still around. Funny you mention it. I found that videos of those trout yesterday. Moved them over onto a external hardrive. There is a lot of footage from back then I need to figure out with it. I moved up to Dallas but Ill have more reports and what not coming out soon. :dance:
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Boomy »

LOL... troll

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
dlaws60600

Post by dlaws60600 »

lol
Noeafpj9

Post by Noeafpj9 »

Well don’t I feel like a big donkey... thanks man
upnorthtex

Post by upnorthtex »

WTF Tino
TimmyT140

Post by TimmyT140 »

I think you better stick to the marsh for a while till you get used to being in a kayak and all. That big water is not for beginners. :mrgreen:

Oh yeah, I've always wondered about your screen name, probably for a couple of years, now. Acoustic Tennis, what is that? You play guitar and tennis? At the same time???