Kingfish Gone Wild

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Kingfish Gone Wild

Post by Prof. Salt »

Monday they were out there, the winds were low and the fish found some supernatural fighting abilities. Several fought me for over 20 minutes before coming to the boat. I like the spunky attitudes!

Tx_Reds

Re: Kingfish Gone Wild

Post by Tx_Reds »

Wowzer!!

How far of a paddle? and where do you keep these if you bring them home?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Great video Glen! Thanks for posting! Good job on the kings Sir!!!
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

I kept the first three fish in the center hatch. The kayak has a long fish box that also holds your rods/reels for surf crossings. It's a cool idea and works pretty well, at least until you stuff it full of fish. Then the rods have to ride outside. The internal box kept my fish cold all day by adding a few water bottles that were pre-frozen. The extra weight actually leveled out the boat and it paddled great.

And the whole trip was right at 20 miles. With the speed it was a very nice day on the water.
earthshipman

Post by earthshipman »

Nice video Glenn, thanks!

How would you compare the Stealth with the Viking in terms of speed and fishing features?
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Ken I have really tried to not like this kayak. It isn't the most practical and can't paddle the flats, around rocks or oysters, and may not work in the river becuse of potential rock contact. But you almost have to experience it for yourself to believe the performance. My paddling time compared to the Reload was cut in half ...IN HALF!
You do give up some capacity and definitely some stability, but this thing is a speed freak. I got to the far rig set off BHP in 45 minutes and I wasn't pushing things, just cruising along so my lures would stay down in the water.

Speed and distance are the strong suits of the boat. That and internal rod storage for running the surf ...at least until I stuff the fish box full and the rods won't fit anymore. Even with three big fish the fly rod still went inside and everything else was leashed for the surf run back to the sand. The built in box is nice, and I loaded it with eight normal sized frozen water bottles before daylight. They were still partly frozen when i got back to the truck. As you can see on the video, reaching down to grab the fish is more tricky in such a skinny kayak. I think the fiberglass also makes it transmit feel much better. A strike feels like someone slapped the boat. You know it when a fish messes with your baits!

In a nutshell, if you got a chance to drive a Lamborghini and it drove as easy as a Toyota Camry it would be disappointing. A super high performance boat should (in my opinion) feel exotic and a little wild. This one definitely does. It's comfortable to sit for hours and reaching back for a rod or to access the rear hatch is fine, but it's not the Reload where you can turn around, do aerobics, throw a cast net or do Pilates on the deck. It's a kayak built for speed and capable of handling solid fish. I love the Stealth, but I'll need to keep garage space for a "daily driver" too.
Last edited by Prof. Salt on Thu May 10, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karyuu

Post by Karyuu »

Good deal, I have been eyeing these surf ski kayaks made for fishing a few years now. Seems like these are super popular in new Zealand, Australia and south Africa. Hopefully this will stop the trend of kayaks getting wider by design to make it more stable and standable.

Fiber glass is pretty through and is also easily repairable. Most boats being run in the texas kayak safari are fiberglass or carbon fiber.

According to Roy's tackle they are becoming a distributor for stealth and are waiting on their first shipment to come in.

Lastly, since these yaks are based on surf ski, I have seen these yaks get out and surf some monster breakers.
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

Yep! Watch Rokkit Kit on YouTube.
One heck of a kayak fisherman.
Karyuu

Post by Karyuu »

Fishtolive wrote:Yep! Watch Rokkit Kit on YouTube.
One heck of a kayak fisherman.
I do, last video was intense. if you like rokkit, search for kayak fishing south Africa. Those guys fight some monster tunas.