Starting over

dead wait

Starting over

Post by dead wait »

Been out of the game for a while. Trying to rebuild my stock and in the market for a new yak. So, my question to the experienced BTB guy's and gal's is, what's the new hot yak for a Big guy to get out in the surf. My last yak was a Malibu X-Factor. I gotta say, the older i get, my back just can't take the soft flimsy seats. So, i've been looking at the Jackson Big Rig and the Feel Free 13.5. Both have good solid seats which really turn me on. I've got bad knees so, being able to sit up a bit seems like a really good plus. When I say i'm a big guy, i'm 6'1" and 335 lbs. That;s why im looking at these two yaks. They are wide and can carry a heavy load. But i would love to hear everyone elses opinion. Except from you little buck fifty guys. LOL Thank's in advance. Glad to be back on the site.
Kirk B.

Re: Starting over

Post by Kirk B. »

I have to give props to the Jackson seat.
I bought a second-hand 'cuda 12 last year and wouldn't go back to sitting on a gel pad in the bottom of a s-o-t for any amount of money. I'm 6'-0" and 230 lbs, and a somewhat sedentary 55 years old. My back thanks me, my knees thank me, and so on. I actually think I could stand up in mine, if I had the cojones, lol. I don't want to lose my stuff if I'm wrong....

Kirk B.
dead wait

Post by dead wait »

I gotcha on the stand up part. No, can't say i have any desire to stand until im flat footed on the ground. But, back to the seat. They just look to be more comfortable. I guess for shorter folks, maybe it's a bit different. But for taller people, those high back jell pads just don't do it. The jackson has a metal frame around the edges. Does it dig into your shoulders any. The Feel Free seems to wrap around your back. Which all together looks like more support and over all more comfortable.
Kirk B.

Post by Kirk B. »

I sit straight when I'm paddling, and forward when I'm fishing (piss-poor posture, lol). I'll lean back to rest once in a while and have never noticed the frame being an issue. I've never been in a feel free, but I couldn't ask for anything else in a seat with what I have.
I've paddled with the seat in the high position a few times, and noticed I felt tipsier..tipsyer..tip...less balanced, lol. Makes sense, with the higher center of gravity. It never felt dangerous, just less comfortable, balance-wise.
Slightly off topic, but whichever you get, make sure it has a rudder on it.

Kirk B.
dead wait

Post by dead wait »

Thanks Kirk B. You answered another question i had. I wondered what it felt like paddling in a higher position. Now i know.
Karyuu

Post by Karyuu »

Big guy like you should look at a Jackson Kraken. It has a seat to adjust the position of the paddler, both up/down and front/back. This allows you to adjust your weight distribution on the yak for passing the breakers.

Fyi I got a Jackson Kraken 15.5 rigged up for sale.
dead wait

Post by dead wait »

I'd like to see some pics. if possible.
Karyuu

Post by Karyuu »

dead wait wrote:I'd like to see some pics. if possible.
PM sent
boricualouie

Post by boricualouie »

If your a big dude,you might think of getting a pro angler!
dead wait

Post by dead wait »

I can't hang with Hobie prices. Too rich for my game.
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

I'm 6'5 #300 + and use a 2015 WS135 btb with no probs. Spend $$ on a good paddle and get a rudder. Hint: low seat would be better for btb keeps our heavy bodies at a lower center of gravity but there are trade offs.
WS135 can be found at very affordable prices. Good luck
Mulligan

Post by Mulligan »

Speaking from experience with a similar big kayak, I used to have the Jackson Big Tuna. Although I really like that big yak, it is a big yak to be taking it out BTB. I've taken the big tuna off the Freeport/surfside coast up to about the end of the SS jetty. That was tough! With the big rig, I'd imagine it'll be harder! But I understand your need for a big yak for your size, but depending on how far out BTB you wanna go, I'd say the big rig wouldn't be a good choice. The closest rig off Matagorda I believe is approx. 1.8 miles. If I had the big tuna, I wouldn't go out that far as my shoulders would be shot! Especially if there's any head wind. I'm 6' and was 248# when I had the big tuna couple yrs ago and was in pretty good shape (Crossfit), but those long trek on the big tuna wore my ass out even out on the bay.

I know you said Hobie PA is out of your price range, but if you want to go BTB, I would highly recommend a pedal drive system of some sort. I got a Hobie outback and never looked back! Good luck!
dead wait

Post by dead wait »

Don't get me wrong. If I had the jack, i'd probably go the Hobie route. I'm considering maybe trying a Tarpon 140 or 160. I've got a buddy that's had a 140 for years. He's taller than me just not as heavy. He's never had a turn over issue at all and has paddled a many mile on that thing. If it wasn't for me being so heavy, i'd really like to go with something a bit faster. I've considered the size of the big rig and the feel free and have already made up my mind if I buy one, i'm getting a trolling motor to go on it.
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

The jackson kraken 15.5 would be the bomb! I definitely want one those
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Boomy »

Elevated seats and surf don't mix. Try a Viking Reload or Ocean 13. Roy's is having a demo days this weekend in Corpus. Go and try them out in person. Kayaks are a personal item and fit to the user.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Boomy »

Also check the weights and widths on your prospects. Off High Island you can get away with a wide heavy boat, but if you plan on hitting bluewater you'll wish you'd gone shinny and light.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
dead wait

Post by dead wait »

Well. I pulled the plug and found myself a Big Rig. Should be picking it up tonight. Pictures to follow in the near future. Thanks for everyones help.