A one and done rod and reel combo

Longliner

A one and done rod and reel combo

Post by Longliner »

I like these kinds of posts and I'm big on rods and reels. So that's why I'm asking if you could only pick one rod& reel combo for btb what would it be?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: A one and done rod and reel combo

Post by kickingback »

Shakespeare Ugly Stik, Medium Heavy/Heavy, Abu Garcia Ambassadeur C3 Casting Reel 650. Reel is all I worry about. With boat and yak fishing any rod can break if you get pulled under the boat and the boat causes stress where it touches and breaks. I figure Ugly Stik's are great tough rods as it is and if one breaks, I only have to pay $40 for another.
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

Yup! hard beat an ugly stick for btb.
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

Most Btb guys are using the tiger ugly stick. About 60 and it’s a heck of an off the shelf rod. Pick the MHeavy model. Hard to find as most are medium. Then pair it with your favorite reel. For years I used Penn but then went to avet mxl. Great reel.

Wm
Heatstroke

Post by Heatstroke »

MH Ugly Stik Tiger with a Penn Fathom 25N Lever drag.
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

Like others have said, it's hard to go wrong with a tigerstick, however a much cheaper alternative is the white catfishing rod from Walmart. Last time I looked, they are around $22 and almost as tough as the tigerstick.

I prefer the Daiwa Sealine SHA30 reels, but another good choice is the venerable Penn 500.
Squidward

Post by Squidward »

If I just had to have one reel I would go with a penn spinfisher V, I’ve had mine for 3 years now and it still feels great.
I also fish with the Seigler SG (formally Truth reels) but if I had to just chose one reel I would go with the spinfisher just because I cannot cast the SG and the spinfisher is more versatile.