My Hobie can’t handle 10-12’ waves

Scrumptrelecent

My Hobie can’t handle 10-12’ waves

Post by Scrumptrelecent »

Went down to PINS and camped last weekend at mile marker 15. The entire trip we only caught one 21” red in the surf. The surf was rough all weekend so getting past the breakers in my outback was challenging. On Sunday we went another 9 miles down the beach in search of better fishing. The surf had settled down so I was able to run some shark bait out about 300-400 yards. On my last run out a front came in and the surf turned for the worse. I was just past the breakers and the rollers started getting very big. I pointed my nose to the beach and started hauling. The first breaker turned me sideways before I knew what was happening and my first official turtle had happened. I flipped my kayak and hopped back in to immediately get knocked right back out. Again, I flipped the kayak over and pulled myself back into it. I rode one wave only to get tossed out of the yak by the next. At this point I was getting closer to the beach. I managed to pull myself back into my kayak and rode a 10’ wave in. I was running good and then the nose started dipping below the water. Everything was going ok and then my nose hit bottom and I flipped head over heals. At this point the people I was with thought I was a goner because the kayak landed on top of me. I could finally touch bottom and just held on while the waves pushed me back in. I ended up with a couple of nasty bruises and a restored respect for mother nature. I never considered myself in danger but this was just another example of knowing your limitations and being ready for all scenarios.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: My Hobie can’t handle 10-12’ waves

Post by kickingback »

Sorry for the troubles. I always come in backwards in my PA14. It helps me a lot.
Scrumptrelecent

kickingback wrote:Sorry for the troubles. I always come in backwards in my PA14. It helps me a lot.
It didn't matter that day. I got pushed off of my kayak going in backwards also.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

kickingback wrote:Sorry for the troubles. I always come in backwards in my PA14. It helps me a lot.
in 12 ***feet*** waves? :mrgreen:
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

It hurts less seeing the wave hit you... :wink:
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

kickingback wrote:It hurts less seeing the wave hit you... :wink:
I've spent some time in Australia and saw 12' surf in action -- there is no effing way you could navigate it in kayak. I tried body surfing it once -- it was rolling me around like a tumbleweed. At some point my heels hit me in the back of my head and I felt spine cracking -- all this while it was dragging me on the bottom filling my pants with sand. 12' surf is a very serious thing. It also practically never happens in Gulf. ;)
Scrumptrelecent

Crusader wrote:
kickingback wrote:It hurts less seeing the wave hit you... :wink:
I've spent some time in Australia and saw 12' surf in action -- there is no effing way you could navigate it in kayak. I tried body surfing it once -- it was rolling me around like a tumbleweed. At some point my heels hit me in the back of my head and I felt spine cracking -- all this while it was dragging me on the bottom filling my pants with sand. 12' surf is a very serious thing. It also practically never happens in Gulf. ;)
You aren't kidding. I was guesstimating the height of the surf, at least the wave that stood my 12' outback up vertically and put my nose into the ground. It was crazy how conditions changed in a matter of seconds.
prolog22

Post by prolog22 »

I had my scrambler XT flipped front through back by 4 footers. Easily. Many BTB people here would consider not going out if the surf is over 3 ft. On the other note, kayaks are heavy and if things get out of control in the surf can brake bones.
Just read a recent stories in this forum.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

LOL I never go out in waves higher than 2'!
I'm no wave rider and I enjoy keeping all my gear "IN" my kayak when I go out or com back in. I NEVER go out in waves over 3'.
Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Boomy »

10 foot wave on PINS? LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
teen yaker

Post by teen yaker »

I'm sorry but those "10'-12' waves" were probably half that (or less) in reality.
junkyard chihuahua
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by junkyard chihuahua »

I used to surf in my whitewater kayak all the time. I would not recommend this unless you have practiced it a lot. I would never attempt this with a bunch of rods sticking up and gear all over the deck either, but one can side surf in to the beach when it starts to get shallow. Its best if you are riding a wave in and turn sideways while leaning hard into the wave and holding your paddle high and flat and on top of the wave. You need to have some forward motion going to make the turn, otherwise it feels like getting hit by a truck and usually rolls you. That kind of roll is easier on you than a pitchpole tho. I can do it in a Tarpon 140 and its surprisingly stable once you get used to the dynamics at work. The whole deck will be washed, so learn it with an empty boat. Thigh straps are mandatory for this to work as well. YMMV. :D
Scrumptrelecent

teen yaker wrote:I'm sorry but those "10'-12' waves" were probably half that (or less) in reality.
No need to apologize. We’re all fisherman here so we’ve all got a little exaggeration in our blood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk