Friday High Island McFadden (Pics added)

mikeyplus

Friday High Island McFadden (Pics added)

Post by mikeyplus »

Hit the beach at sunrise, surf was rougher than expected. After studying my options for a bit, I decided I was there, might as well wet a hook. Due to being alone and rough water, I only went out about a quarter mile. First hook up was a hard head but decided to stay put due to rough conditions. In the next 2 hours, I caught 6 bull reds and decided to call it a day due to rough conditions. They were there, they were hungry and they were strong.

Bite was on cut large mullets I picked up at Sea Pony in Winnie. I would attach a picture of the sunrise, pictures of some of the reds and a couple of videos but I just can not figure out how. Yes I am an old man, 60 next month but I had a hell of a good time today. Not sure which was more fun, catching the reds or the ride in on the 3 foot waves!
Attachments
WP_20170929_07_14_01_Pro.jpg
G0030906.JPG
G0030914.JPG
Last edited by mikeyplus on Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WoodsWaterSky

Re: RE: Friday High Island McFadden

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

mikeyplus wrote:Hit the beach at sunrise, surf was rougher than expected. After studying my options for a bit, I decided I was there, might as well wet a hook. Due to being alone and rough water, I only went out about a quarter mile. First hook up was a hard head but decided to stay put due to rough conditions. In the next 2 hours, I caught 6 bull reds and decided to call it a day due to rough conditions. They were there, they were hungry and they were strong.

Bite was on cut large mullets I picked up at Sea Pony in Winnie. I would attach a picture of the sunrise, pictures of some of the reds and a couple of videos but I just can not figure out how. Yes I am an old man, 60 next month but I had a hell of a good time today. Not sure which was more fun, catching the reds or the ride in on the 3 foot waves!
Good to hear it was productive for you in spite of the rough conditions.
Been wanting to fish High Island area myself but my kayak rides a bit too low for btb in rough conditions, and hard to schedule a trip on a day with perfect conditions.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yakety_Yak

Re: Friday High Island McFadden (Pics added)

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Awesome stuff! I'm glad to hear that you had a great time. It looks like you had a better day than we did on Saturday. It was breezy Saturday morning and I was somewhat cold at first. That didn't stop me though as there is fishing to be caught. :)

Congrats on your catches!!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Nice report! Glad you caught some nice bulls! Well done and thanks for sharing!
Heatstroke

Re: RE: Friday High Island McFadden

Post by Heatstroke »

WoodsWaterSky wrote: Been wanting to fish High Island area myself but my kayak rides a bit too low for btb in rough conditions, and hard to schedule a trip on a day with perfect conditions.

What kayak do you have that rides low?
WoodsWaterSky

Re: RE: Re: RE: Friday High Island McFadden

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

Heatstroke wrote:
WoodsWaterSky wrote: Been wanting to fish High Island area myself but my kayak rides a bit too low for btb in rough conditions, and hard to schedule a trip on a day with perfect conditions.

Currently in a 12' Pescador. Great for bay and marsh, but wouldn't want to go BTB in it, unless it was really calm. I'm also 6' and almost 250 lbs.

Heatstroke

Re: RE: Re: RE: Friday High Island McFadden

Post by Heatstroke »

WoodsWaterSky wrote:
Heatstroke wrote:

Currently in a 12' Pescador. Great for bay and marsh, but wouldn't want to go BTB in it, unless it was really calm. I'm also 6' and almost 250 lbs.

I cut my BTB teeth in that yak. When Mythman would post up that he was going fishing, I started packing up! :lol:
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

Good to hear that. If the opportunity arises, I may make my first BTB trip in mine too. The guys that I fish with are partial to the lakes, bays, and marshes, and do not have much/any interest in going BTB. Me on the other hand, love adventure and would love to do it.
joliver

Post by joliver »

I'm going to be 60 next month and I'm NOT old. Neither are you, kayak/saltwater/ BTB fisherman.

Great report and thanks for sharing. :clap:
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

Congratulation. Nice pics and great report.
And early happy birthday...:)

WoodsWaterSky: your kayak is good for McFadden BTB too. That was my second kayak and I have used it for McFadden. Just pick an ice cream condition day for a start.... good luck.
WoodsWaterSky

Re: RE: Re: Friday High Island McFadden (Pics added)

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

Fishtolive wrote:Congratulation. Nice pics and great report.
And early happy birthday...:)

WoodsWaterSky: your kayak is good for McFadden BTB too. That was my second kayak and I have used it for McFadden. Just pick an ice cream condition day for a start.... good luck.
McFadden is definitely on my list.
I'm in transition right now from frequent fishing mode to hunting mode, but would like to make btb trip on the near future. Also, I have deemed the 2 radios I have as junk and was just reading another topic whereas there is a 20 dollar rebate on horizon radios thru December. So a new radio and the right conditions and I'm there.