Surfside Beach Rig?

rattlesnake68

Surfside Beach Rig?

Post by rattlesnake68 »

Well, it looks like my dad is willing to go a couple of miles BTB for the first time. After taking him out a few times on the Hobie TI off the coast of Mississippi he is now comfortable enough to try for a rig. That brings me to my question. Are there rigs offshore from Surfside Beach? if so, how far out are they? If there aren't any at Surfside, then I'll drive further down and hit the MP rigs.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Surfside Beach Rig?

Post by kickingback »

4 miles I think. I haven't been to them but am planning to go soon.
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

Been there and caught few kings in a good day.
The distance is about 4.5 to 5 miles depending on where you launch.
I used to launch at Bryant beach but it was few years ago and recently there is a big construction FLNG project going on at Quintana. It causes lot of heavy truck traffic. So please be careful and check before going there.
Good luck
Mulligan

Post by Mulligan »

There's a rig at Matagorda that's just at 2 miles away from beach. Very productive! No need to drive all the way down to Corpus if you don't need to. However, I haven't had luck with Kings at the Matagorda rig. Smacks are pretty thick as well as Jacks.
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

From past experiences, I never catch any kings at this time of the year in Freeport. Unless you have a power boat and go very far out to the Gulf.
I think you might have to go further South (CC or PINS) to get them.
But if you go then please let us know how you do please?
JordanListon

Post by JordanListon »

Mulligan wrote:There's a rig at Matagorda that's just at 2 miles away from beach. Very productive! No need to drive all the way down to Corpus if you don't need to. However, I haven't had luck with Kings at the Matagorda rig. Smacks are pretty thick as well as Jacks.
Mind helping me locate that Matagorda rig? Where would I launch for that one? Thanks!
Mulligan

Post by Mulligan »

Once you are on the beach from Beach Rd, Drive up the beach approx 5-6 miles. You'll see the rig....CAN'T MISS IT!