A look at the post-Harvey Port Aransas south jetty

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

A look at the post-Harvey Port Aransas south jetty

Post by Prof. Salt »

The jetties took a beating but they're still there. Parking will change for a while though...

https://www.facebook.com/profsaltoutdoo ... 6xWVr5JHe0
jnd1959

Re: A look at the post-Harvey Port Aransas south jetty

Post by jnd1959 »

Thanks for the video. I didn't get over to see it when in town. Wow. I couldnt fathom what everyone was saying. I thought the parking lot was covered in seaweed or something.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

This Google Maps image shows a dot on the roadway where we parked, and a second dot where we were able to cross over to the seawall and walk out.

This is a shot from where we got onto the jetty. You can barely see the bollards in the distance where we used to drive around to get to the parking spots (now under water).
earthshipman

Post by earthshipman »

That is so surreal, I have been fishing off that jetty since I was a teenager (I'm 55 now). Never could have imagined it would ever look like this. Are there any plans rebuild a parking area?

I wonder if the ship channel is shallower than it used to be.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

The Coast Guard was assessing the channel immediately after the storm, and they were dredging just beyond the rocks while we were there. Packery jetty went from 8 foot depth at the ends to 30 foot depth after the storm. Talk about a sweeping tide!

As to repairing the parking area, I am sure they will eventually get to that project. For now the town and it's tourism industry is in a dire situation. I suspect all resources for the foreseeable future will be dedicated to getting the shops and hotels back online so the town can make a living again. For an interesting and very telling look at the state of things, go to Google Maps and click on the satellite view. Zoom in on Port A/Rockport/Aransas Pass and you can get a real sense of the magnitude of the job ahead. A tremendous amount of work has been done already, but on the ground many areas look as if the cleanup hasn't yet started.
joliver

Post by joliver »

Professor,

As always, thanks so much. I've been curious how the area between Rockport and PINs is, but haven't gotten down there, yet. How is Packery? Clem's? How about PINS? Did it "change" any?

Hope to be there Nov. 2-5th.