High Island is back!

Big Perm
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

High Island is back!

Post by Big Perm »

Sorry, no pics for this post...

Decided to go out this morning so I hit up Rick at Sea Pony for some of his finest mullet and headed to High Island. When I got to the end of the road (124) I went left about 100 yards and got got on the water at about 8:15am. I paddled out about 500 yards from the beach, waves were breaking at the beach but is was not a problem.

On the FIRST cast, before I could even get the second rod out, we landed a 40" bull red. Now usually for me that is a bad omen. Whenever I catch what I am looking for on the first cast the day usually goes downhill, but not today. We proceeded to catch 5 more Bulls, all about the same size as the first. The funny thing was the bulls were not biting the way they usually do. Usually they pull line constantly and make the clicker go crazy. Today, they would bite, run for 2-3 seconds and stop. This created a problem because they were swallowing the bait making for difficult releases. They were biting like gafftop. On one of the bulls I did not even know he was hooked until he got to the surface and took off.

So the total was 6 BR's in 3 hours. My 10 yr old son said he was ready to go home because his arms hurt from fighting fish.

It was good to see HI producing bulls again, it had been slow over there for a while.
Fishtolive

Re: High Island is back!

Post by Fishtolive »

Congratulation on the super productive day....:)
And thank you for the report
Heatstroke

Re: High Island is back!

Post by Heatstroke »

That's good. I went yesterday and only caught one. Fished from 8'-16' fow.