camping on rig.

Noleader

camping on rig.

Post by Noleader »

There is an easy rig to climb. Will crew boats come at night? Tell me all the reasons not to camp on the oil rig, other than falling debris.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: camping on rig.

Post by kickingback »

Thought it was illegal to be on a rig in the Gulf without permission from the company that owns it or maintains them. I was told it is even illegal to tie off to them but people do all the time.
I have never seen anyone come to the rigs while I was there but then again I did not spend all night to see. I wouldn't chance it myself as the metal is rusted bad on the rigs and one mis-step and you could be in trouble out there all alone.
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

X2 with Kickingback.
I never even think about BTB night.....my old poor eyesight won't be able to see what will hit me at low light...:(
Noleader

Post by Noleader »

Well now that I have been made publicly aware of the illegality, I vow to never camp or climb on an oil rig. And I will never climb the Fina Docks during the sheephead run....And I will never fish off the Port bay bridge in the middle of the night...
TX-Matador

Post by TX-Matador »

It would also be an issue if you brought any kind of light source. Anything that could cause a spark (battery, light bulb, and definitely not any kind of fire), would be a huge safety hazard around natural gas. Could easily cause the whole rig to go up in flames.
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

Not to mention that bad seas could kick up overnight and you could be out there for awhile